Chapter 5

><

Mando woke up hours later to a strange sound in his normally quiet ship. He laid in his bed and stared up at the dark ceiling of his quarters. Another chittering giggle sounded from outside the doors and was quickly followed by Yara's quiet, feminine laughter. He frowned, it was strange to have a child and woman aboard his ship after so many years of solitude. He stood up and reached for his helmet, sliding it in place before he opened his doors.

Yara and the child were sitting on the floor of the cargo area. She had pulled down one of the cargo tarps and laid it on the floor for them to sit on. The child was picking through his nutrition pack slowly piece by piece. Yara was holding his water bottle out teasingly and he was chittering excitedly at her. She smiled and gave it to him.

Yara turned as the Mandalorian's doors slid open. She looked over her shoulder at the imposing man covered in armor. Most people looked softer when they awoke, not him. He looked ready to fight.

The smile on Yara's face stilled after a moment and Mando felt bad. He knew his presence had done that. The child however turned it's head and blinked it's large black eyes up at him. He cooed in the back of his throat and skittered across the floor towards him. Mando scooped him up in his arms. "You behaving you little womp rat?" he asked affectionately.

Yara stood. The Mandalorian didn't scare her, but she found she didn't necessarily want to be on the ground at his feet. The child however didn't seem to mind, he reached out and gently touched Mando's helmet with his small hand. He cooed again this time softer.

Up above them a quiet beeping started in the cockpit and then was echoed on the controls at his wrist. Mando looked down at the alarm. "We're on approach," he said.

Yara stepped up close to Mando and took the child gently from his arms. Holding him against her chest. Mando turned off the alarm at his wrist and unlocked the cockpit. All three of them climbed up above to get their first look at Sorgan.

The planet was a brilliant palate of greens and swirling blues. Most of the planet appeared to be covered in dense forests. Yara put the child in his seat and took her spot over Mando's left shoulder. As they got closer it was clear that the information had been correct. There were no large cities in sight. Just small settlements and then individual farms dotted the green landscape stretching out below them.

Mando set down the ship in an open clearing in the forest. It would be a short walk to one of the larger settlements, but without a space port he didn't want to draw attention to them. He landed and switched off the engines.

He turned his chair around to face the child who was looking eagerly out of the windshield. "Now listen," he said firmly. "We are going to go out there and look around. It shouldn't take too long. Now, don't touch anything. I'll find us some lodging and I'll come back for you. You stay right here," he said pointing resolutely at the child. "You stay. Don't move," he warned him sternly. "You understand?"

The child cooed adorably, his big bat like ears wiggling in excitement.

"Great," Mando said with a nod. He turned to Yara. "Ready?" he asked.

She nodded biting back a grin from watching the fearsome Mandalorian warrior acting like an overprotective dad. She also couldn't help but think it was adorable that Mando actually thought the kid would listen. He clearly didn't have much experience with children.

Yara and Mando moved through the dark bay to the ramp. Mando hit the button and it hissed as it lowered. Brilliant sunlight flooded the small space. Yara blinked her eyes as they fought to adjust to the brightness of day after so long in space. Standing between her and Mando, was the child. He looked up at Mando and cooed.