Chapter 9

Hello friends! Here is another update for you. Thank you so much for the votes and it's always so much fun to read the comments.

Happy Reading!

><

Yara woke at dawn the next day. She sat up and scrubbed at her eyes in confusion. Despite not being able to sleep the first part of the night, she had slept more soundly the second half than she could ever remember. She blinked groggily and suddenly remembered she hadn't fallen asleep alone. The last hazy memory she had before dropping off to sleep was of holding Mando's hand and resting her head against the cool Beskar pauldron that covered his shoulder.

She jerked up on her cot and looked around the hut. It was difficult to see much in the early dawn light, but she quickly realized she was alone. Both Mando's cot and the child's crib were empty. She shoved off her blanket, pulled on her boots and shrugged into her jacket.

She stepped out of the hut and flinched when Mando suddenly appeared in her peripheral vision. "Kriff," she muttered, resting a hand over her pounding heart.

Mando tipped his helmet as he stared down at her. He was leaning his back against the wall of the hut and watching the child play in the dirt.

"I didn't see you there," she said, her heart still thundering.

He nodded his helmet but still didn't speak. She cleared her throat uncomfortably and turned to take in the sight of the village as it was beginning to wake. It was beautiful and peaceful. She shifted her weight, feeling self conscious in his presence now. She wished he would just say something. She had no idea what was going on behind the silent, stoic metal helmet.

She was trying to work up the courage to say something. She wasn't sure what, when the door of Cara's hut opened and saved her. The shock trooper blinked a few times at the brighter light and swaggered over to them.

"Morning," she mumbled running a hand over her face.

"Morning," Yara said warmly.

Mando just nodded.

Omera walked over to them carrying a tray of tea and four bowls of warm breakfast. She set it down on the low table on the porch. "Let me know if you need anything else," she said warmly. "Also I spoke with Winta this morning and she will watch your boy while you train us," she said looking from Yara to Mando.

Yara swallowed as she realized Omera and probably the entire village assumed the child belonged to her and Mando. While they were caring for him together now, it was a sharp reminder that she was staying behind once they left.

"Thank you," Yara said. "Would you please let everyone know we would like to get started right away after breakfast? We have a lot to do."

Omera nodded. Her eyes cut uncertainly to Mando. Mando straightened silently and took his bowl and tea cup and disappeared back into the hut, closing the door behind him.

"What the Sith crawled up his armor?" Cara asked dropping down to sit and eat.

Yara scooped up the child and set his bowl in front of him. She waited until he had started eating before she took her own and finally looked up at Cara. "I don't know," she said with a helpless shrug. "He hasn't said a word since last night."

"Something happen between you two last night?" Cara asked arching an eyebrow suggestively.

Yara shook her head. "No," she lied, although she supposed it wasn't really a lie. Nothing Cara thought had happened last night. She didn't want to go into it with Cara. Whatever vulnerability and closeness she and Mando had shared the night before, it was clear it had been too much for him. He was making an effort to put distance between them once more. She would respect that.