Chapter 13

Hello All! I hope you have been enjoying the story! I really appreciate all of the comments and votes!

Happy Reading!

><

The next morning Yara woke in her bed alone. The hut was empty. It wasn't uncommon, Mando and the kid were usually up by dawn, but she couldn't shake the feeling that something was off.

She got up, washed her face and stepped out into the village. It was late morning. The latest she had slept since their arrival. She had clearly needed the sleep, but it surprised her that no nightmares had awoken her the rest of the night after she and Mando had spoken.

She found Mando standing outside the hut watching the children play. It should have appeared peaceful and made her feel calm, but it didn't. There was something nagging her in the back of her mind.

"Morning," she greeted, and when Mando turned to look at her she felt a blush rise to her cheeks, distracting her.

"Morning," Mando replied. He tipped his helmet to watch her face. She was blushing as though they had done something together the night before, something more than just the small touch they had shared. He wondered what she would be like if they were ever together. He found himself staring at the blush. He liked it.

"You must have been up early," Yara said tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"Couldn't sleep," Mando said wth a little shrug.

Yara felt guilty about that. Once again she had woken him in the middle of the night. She opened her mouth to apologize and stopped as that same odd feeling went over her. She turned, a frown furrowing her brow.

"What is it?" Mando asked tensing. He trusted her and her gift well enough that he shoved away from the hut and began scanning the area with her.

Yara shook her head as she turned in a slow circle. "I'm not sure," she said. There were no flashes of images, instead, it was just a feeling of unease. A shadow hanging over her. She pinched her eyes shut, willing the flashes to show her something, but nothing came. She shook it off and turned back to him. "Must be nothing," she said with a shrug and a tired smile. "I don't see anything," she told him with a quiet voice.

Mando grunted, knowing she meant see beyond what she was looking at but he didn't comment. When she shrugged and turned back to him he said the words that had kept him awake all last night. "I've been thinking," he said, forcing his voice to remain casual. "We raised some hell. Too much action for a backwater town like this. I draw attention wherever I go and word travels fast. It's time to cycle the charts and move on."

Yara went very still as his words went over her. She had known this was coming. She had been reminding herself this day would come over and over again, but there was a part of her that had hoped he would stay. Hoped that he wouldn't leave her. Now as she remembered the touch they had shared the night before she wondered if it was her fault it had come so soon. Had she violated some part of the code unknowingly? Was he leaving because of her? Because she had pushed too hard? Was this what she had been feeling all day?

"I'd hate to be the one to tell the kid he has to leave," Yara said looking down at her hands. She didn't know how to say all of the things she felt. She opened her mouth to apologize, to tell him she would move to a different hut if he wanted privacy and space but Mando continued.

"I'm leaving him here with you," he said. "Traveling with me, that's no kind of life. I did my job, he's safe. Better chance at a real life here."