Chapter 18

Hi all! So...it took a while to write this. Eventually I figured out it was because I didn't like the pacing of the last chapter so I rewrote a bunch of Chapter 17. It's all up and fixed the way I wanted it (re-published 1/21 so I recommend a quick re-read for anyone who read it before that).

This next chapter is going to be an original adventure for Mando and Yara. It will span over several chapters before we get into the events of one of my favorites, Episode 6 The Prisoner. If you guys enjoy the original adventures let me know and I may work a few more in! I hope you enjoy it!

Happy Reading!

><

"What's the job?" Mando's voice was a low rasp through the modulator of his helmet.

Yara and Mando were sitting side by side in the back room of a dimly lit cantina. They had gotten wind of the job at the last space port they had stopped to refuel. One of the techs there had spotted Mando and motioned him over. It didn't sound like a normal job, but they were low on credits and had few options.

Yara had been surprised when the coordinates were for Naboo. The planet wasn't what she normally thought of when it came to criminal activity. The bar however was on the outer edge of the city, far from the beauty and circumstance of the palace. They had landed in one of the bays on the edge of the city where the scanners weren't as reliable, and those watching them even less so and could be easily bought off with a handful of credits.

The contact was a nervous young man who didn't look like he belonged in this part of town. He glanced back and forth between the two of them as though they were not what he expected either. He was dressed in simple clothes, but the fabrics were high quality and clean. Not a normal job at all.

"You are a Mandalorian, yes?" He asked. His eyes, which were glued to Mando, were just a bit too wide.

Yara couldn't blame him. She found it difficult not to stare as well, although it was for an all together different reason. In the dim light of the bar the beskar armor reflected the light as well as the shadows. It made Mando look even more formidable than usual. Though he sat perfectly still power and confidence radiated from his frame. Even the other patrons slipped away and headed for the door just from his presence alone. It said a lot given the nature and appearance of the crowd.

Mando nodded his helmet once imperiously in silent confirmation.

The man swallowed and his eyes flickered to Yara. "And you?" He asked, but his eyes locked back onto Mando, as though he were afraid if he took his eyes off of him for too long Mando would leap up and attack him.

"His partner," Yara said simply. She kept her face perfectly neutral as she responded to his question. She wasn't great at being intimidating, she was too small for that, but hundreds of underworld negotiations had taught her to appear both confident and competent. Which was often more useful and could be intimidating in its own way. So much of these negotiations were about posturing and bluster. There was something to be said for being the calmest person in the room.

"The stories I have heard about the Mandalorian bounty hunter have said he always works alone, and there's never any survivors of his attacks."

Yara arched an impish brow and a smirk twisted her lips. "Where do the stories come from then?" She challenged.

The man looked confused for a moment but quickly recovered and turned to look behind him.

Mando turned his helmet to face Yara.  He didn't say or do anything but she seemed to know exactly what he was thinking. She just smiled up at him innocently and shrugged. Sometimes she just couldn't help herself. He grunted and the two of them turned back to face the contact, serious once more.