Prologue

Welcome to my very first Encanto story! I've been coming across so many Encanto stories I just HAD to write one myself.

Now a note: I do not know much Spanish, but I have done my research on endearing terms and family titles. But I, of course, don't know everything. I will try not to make mistakes, but if I do, please correct me and I will fix it immediately.

I hope you enjoy it.

-Jenna

"Leti! The bad men are getting closer!" A young boy cried. He couldn't be older than 4 years old. His bright brown eyes were wide with terror as he could see them getting closer to them. Tears were falling in droves as he sobbed, "I don't want them to hurt you... Like they did Papi."

"Shh," She soothes, holding him closer as they continued to run, "It's gonna be okay." She told him, her eyes darting around in search of something. Unlike her little brother, her eyes were dull, a dim haze over them. How she was getting around so well was a mystery.

She was blind, after all.

But even though she did not have sight, there was something that only she could see.

When Aletia gazed around the forested mountains, her vision was awash in golden rays. They were warm on her skin yet fleeting in touch, leading her deeper and deeper into the mysterious mountains she found herself running towards. She held her little brother tighter in her arms, ignoring the yells coming from the distance.

"It will be okay, Emil." She told him, and his only response was to hold her tighter.

He was so light, lighter than any four-year-old should be. Constantly on the run from those horrible murderers, it was difficult to find food. She was probably even worse off than he was, but even if she was hungry, she gave whatever they came across to her brother.

She promised their Papi she would protect him, and it was a promise she would keep until the day she died.

She stumbled, tumbled, but continued to run. Closer and closer to that golden light until she came across a large rock side. The golden light she was 'seeing' was brightest on the rocky wall, and when she touched it, everything began to shake.

"Leti, the mountain, something's happening!" Emil yelled, looking around franticly. The earth beneath them was quaking, and Aletia held him tighter as she shielded him from any falling rocks or other debris. On the ground, he noticed the wall before them had changed, "There's a tunnel, hermana! Right in front of us!" He described.

"Go through," She said, putting him down quickly yet carefully, "I'll be right behind you."

"O-okay..." He said, pushing down his fear. Leti never told him to do something that would hurt him. She's always kept him safe, and he trusted her with all of his little being. He got down on his hands and knees and crawled inside the tunnel, Aletia doing the same.

They made their way through the tunnel, and Emil let out a surprised yelp when the light from the entrance suddenly closed in on itself. They could hear the angry and confused yells of their pursuers, getting farther and farther away. They had lost them, they were gone.

They... they were safe.

But now, it was completely dark.

"Leti...?" Emil whimpered. He did not like the dark. It scared him not knowing what was around. He didn't have his sister's cool power, he couldn't 'see' things beyond the dark. It only brought bad memories of the things he'd heard.

The bad men calling his sister a demon and chasing them.

The cries of the nice people getting hurt because they defended them.