5 | Family

Art Drawn By Me!

Aletia was slow to wake up. While she wasn't in as much pain anymore, she had no strength. She realized over time that she wasn't on grass anymore. Her memory was foggy, with only bits and pieces available to her at the moment. But, she understood immediately that she was not in the forest, and thankfully remembered enough to know that a group of people had brought her here with her permission.

Around her were voices she didn't recognize. It was two women and a man. She was reasonably scared. Her eyes opened to a familiar world of darkness. When she began to use her power to 'see', she was met with a surprise.

"Ah!" She yelped in pain. The moment she tried to see anything she was overwhelmed with an enthusiastic, sparkling, golden light! Her sense of 'sight' was overloaded. It was much more intense and vibrant than the gentle soul she'd met briefly on the mountain, Mr. Pedro.

"Oh! Guys, she's awake!" One of them exclaimed. "Hi, honey!" If she could see normally, she'd notice that there were rainbows blooming behind this woman.

But Aletia didn't notice that. She was blind, she was scared, and her first instinct was to get away from the stranger's voice. She found herself on the floor in seconds, startled and scooting away until she was up against a wall.

She wanted to use her power to at least see their intentions, but whatever this house was... it was overwhelming her sight. Her eyes needed time to adjust to it.

Seeing her retreat like that put a big damper on the energetic lady's mood, "Oh, no, no, I didn't mean to scare you, sweetheart." The lady seemed to become depressed quickly, turning to another woman in the room for assistance, "Julieta, what do I do? She's terrified of me!"

"Calm down, Pepa," A gentle voice soothed, "It's natural, she just woke up after two whole days. She's disoriented and more than likely very weak right now."

"Or she's just a nervous wreck, like me..." She heard the male whisper to himself. "Come on, Bruno, you can do this. Just say "Hey, I'm Bruno". It's simple. Just be cool, be calm! If you do that, you won't scare her more."

She listened to him try to encourage himself to come forward. She heard him take a few steps, but he retreated just as quickly, "Nope. Not simple. Should I just introduce "Hernando"? He's afraid of nothing. I'm considering going "Hernando". Maybe "Jorge"? He's chill. Chill is good. "Bruno" clearly can not do this."

"Yes, you can, Bruno. I believe in you." The gentle lady encouraged.

"You've got this, we've got this." The energetic lady also encouraged him, including all of them in it. For some reason, she was also whispering "Clear skies, clear skies".

She noticed that there was a bit of a breeze in the room. It carried the scent of herbs and spices. It was a bit odd, but she didn't pay much heed to it due to her lack of sight.

She could not see that Pepa actually had clouds and rainbows over her head.

Hearing them encouraging each other to approach her to greet her, Aletia felt a lot less afraid. Having her curse since birth, her senses were in tune with the things that she 'sees'. She could also feel someone's intentions, especially if they were hostile. One could call it an added sense due to her normal sight being gone. Of course, because of this, her other, regular senses were stronger, too.

"Muñequita," The gentle voice said softly, "My name is Julieta Madrigal. My daughter, Luisa, carried you and your little brother here two days ago along with her sisters and cousins." She explained slowly, "Do you remember?"

Aletia felt a slight pang at her name; it was really close to her Abuela's name, 'Juliet'.

But recalling her question, she thought about it. Vaguely, she did remember.