6 | A New Beginning

Sorry for the long wait!

"Mami! Mami!" A young Aletia exclaimed. She could be no more than nine or ten, wavy, curly hair bouncing down her back as she ran to her mother. "Is it true? Is it true?!" She asked, practically bursting with excitement.

"Is what true, mariposa?" Her mother asked, giggling at her daughter's obvious joy.

"That I'm gonna be a big sister soon!" Aletia answered, causing the mother to choke a bit on her drink.

Her father, who had just walked into the room, curious, had his eyes blown wide. Like lightning, he was at his wife's side in a flash. Both her husband and daughter's faces matched in their eager, hopeful, joyful curiosity. Like little puppies, Rosa could practically see tails wagging in glee and anticipation.

Rosa sighed, turning to the other, older female in the room, "Suegra (mother-in-law)... I told you I wanted to be sure first before telling them." She said. The old woman smiled knowingly at her beautiful daughter-in-law.

"Oh, but I'm sure of it alright," Juliet answered. "There will be another bundle of joy in this house by spring of next year." She announced.

""YAY!"" Aletia and her father, Enrique, bounced for utter joy at the news. Rosa didn't even have time to think before she was lifted and spun in the air by her loving husband. The man peppered her with kisses, and the little woman couldn't stop the giggles erupting from her.

"Enrique!" She laughed, the sound like little bells that filled the man with happiness.

He gazed upon her as if she were his entire universe. "I," one kiss, "love," another kiss, "you," two more kisses, "so much," a kiss on her lips, "mi amada, mi vida, mi cielo," Each endearing name had a kiss attached to it.

He kissed her one more time before going to dance with his daughter, both of them singing about the new baby. Juliet was quick to join them, and Rosa had to let out a sigh. Even though she did, her sky-blue eyes watched them with undisguised fondness. This was her family; she wouldn't have them any other way.

Enrique, her wonderful husband. He was the type of man that would scream "I'm going to be a father... again!" To the entire world without shame. An open romantic. A complete simp.

She remembered how they met. They started as friends, their parents being acquainted. He fell first and serenaded her with her favorite songs, gifted her flowers. He took care of her when she fell ill, and made it his mission in life to make her laugh. When she finally accepted his courting, he yelled to the world "I'm the luckiest man alive!" and spun her around, just like now.

As embarrassing as that had been, she could not stop her smile. He made it clear that to him, she was the one. His only. There was no need to look at another woman because in his eyes she was indeed his everything. His sky, his stars, his love, the other half of his soul.

In their little town, his love for her was no secret. He would buy her favorite flowers every day, cook for her when she was tired, give her massages, take her on dates... he did it all with a smile and a kiss. Marriage was not too far behind, and soon after came Aletia, their little butterfly.

Now another joy was entering their life. Everyone was happy.

"I'm gonna be a big sister..." Little Aletia said in awe. Her eyes had started glowing in her excitement, no one minding it in the slightest.

When it first happened, around the time she turned two, Rosa was surprised. It only took three seconds for that surprise to shift into pure adoration. From then on, she would see what her grandmother saw. In their town, the older woman was regarded as a saint. There wasn't one person in their small village that hadn't been helped in some way by her.