Chapter One

"Slow, deep breaths. Focus," Bexley's coach kept repeating in a soft, yet firm voice as the girl followed her orders, closing her eyes and focusing on the task at hand. The frozen rink floor underneath her feet was acting as her support while she glided across the ice on her skates, giving the practice her all.

It was her senior year in college, and the season was near, meaning agents and coaches from the pro-figure skating world would be visiting, scouting for new talent.

She hoped she would be on their radar; being in the Olympics had always been her dream.

Bexley Evans was four years old when her parents, who had adopted her at the age of two, had given her her first pair of skates and taught her how to skate on the frozen lake behind their lavish mansion in Connecticut.

Attending university near home and close to her family was what she always wanted, as she was grateful to them for giving her a home. Following their favorite hockey team was hers and her parents' hobby, and she always dreamed of reaching her goal of becoming a pro-figure skater.

With such ease and precision, she followed the choreography she had practiced over the summer break, lucky to find a skating rink with ice where she could get it done.

The soft music on the small radio by the benches was her loyal companion, as it worked in sync with her moves and jumps.

"Good job, Bexley. You do need to work on your jumps, though. You're falling clumsily back on the ice," Annah Cortéz, her coach, mentioned while Bexley approached her after the end of the dance.

The young, dark brown-haired girl sighed.

"I figured. Even at home, it has been hard. I'm not sure why I've neglected to practice that move during my break," she replied, putting the blade covers on her skates as soon as she stepped out, knowing it was time for their school hockey team to practice.

Bexley usually stayed longer, wanting to see them, especially their team captain, Michael Ricci. She loved watching him glide like an expert with his hockey stick in hand while making contact with the puck, sending it straight to the goalie's net.

But what she loved most of all was his black, silky hair, full of waves that were tucked behind his ears, and his icy blue eyes that stared right into the soul. Michael's lips were thin but good enough for her to want to kiss them. His height was one thing that attracted her even more, and she figured he was at least 6' tall. Compared to her 5'2'' small body.

To her, he was perfect.

As she sat down on the bench, put on her fuzzy pink sweater, and waited for the team, she wasn't disappointed. The boys came out seconds later, their hockey jerseys with their mascot in the front and their surnames on the back, spotless and fitting.

Bexley took off her glasses from over her rare green eyes and pulled her hair down from her high bun. She let it fall on her shoulders as she stood up from the bench and leaned against the half wall, hoping he would at least notice her.

"See you tomorrow, okay?" Annah said, patting her back before walking out of the rink. Her eyes strayed back on the rink, admiring the team's hard work.

"Go, baby! You got this!" she heard Brooklyn, her sister who her parents had adopted as well, at the other side of the rink, cheering. Bexley wasn't surprised she was there. Brooklyn was Michael's girlfriend, and it was normal she would be at his practice and games.

They were like bees and honey, perfect for each other. But she could only hope Michael would have eyes for her one day. She knew it was wrong to even think about it, but she was also a girl with a crush.

Defeated, she decided to go back outside before she noticed someone's eyes on her. Taking a glance at the team, Jeremiah Redd, who everyone knew as "Jezzah", waved at her with a smile. He was the best defense, Michael's best friend and he was not too bad to look at.

According to some girls on campus.

Jezzah had come from a small town in Tennessee and had been awarded a sports scholarship, giving him the chance to become a great hockey player. Bexley found him to be kind and down to Earth; an honest type of guy.

Whoever became his girlfriend would be one lucky gal.

As she walked out of the rink, she headed towards her car. While Brooklyn had been gifted a shiny new white Tesla at her high school graduation, all she asked for was a 1970 shiny blue Beetle, saying it was her own dream car.

Her sister's blonde hair was always cut in a pixie bob, and she loved to wear excessive makeup over her big, amber-colored eyes.

"Bexley!" she heard her call, giving her a hug as soon as she caught up to her. "I'm sorry I missed your practice. I know I promised to make it, but I was kind of busy."

Her face glowed, giving Bexley the hint that the kind of busy she was talking about was one she didn't want to know. She couldn't lie, they both got along, but Brooklyn was a wild and carefree soul, whereas Bexley was calm and quiet. Always keeping to herself.

They balanced each other out in the family and Bexley was grateful for having a sister like her. She loved her more than anyone could ever love a sibling.

"Too much information, Brooks!" she laughed, calling her by her nickname while she shook her head.

"Sorry. It's just that he's so..."

"Stop it!" This time she was trying not to show annoyance.

Liking Michael meant not wanting to know how happy they were, or how far she was from making him like her back.

Brooklyn looked at her, drawing her eyebrows, curious to see what had Bexley upset.

"I'm sorry. I promise to show up next time," she smiled, holding her hand. "By the way, I noticed the way Jezzah looks at you. Isn't he adorable? That southern charm can surely attract any girl, especially with his little accent, which I've noticed has disappeared over the years. I guess living up here did that to him."

Bexley rolled her eyes, turning around to resume her walk towards her Beetle.

"It's called a Southern drawl, and yes, he is adorable, but he's not my type. Besides, I don't want to think about dating anyone. All I want is to get through this last year of college and focus on getting scouted to go pro."

Brooklyn groaned, stomping her feet behind her.

"I know, you silly nerd! But, it's your last year of college. Live a little. You'll leave me soon and I'll be stuck here another year."

Bexley smiled softly at her, taking her little sister in an embrace.

"We'll keep in contact. And as for the scouts, I'm not sure whether or not I will have luck. I might be stuck here working in the supermarket for all I know," she chuckled, trying to feel better.

"I love you. You do know that, right?" Brooklyn asked.

"I love you, too. More than anything in the world," Bexley replied. As she opened the door of her car and started to get in, she heard Michael's voice shout from the rink entrance, jogging towards Brooklyn before taking her in his arms and kissing her with a fiery passion.

Bexley's heart ached at the sight, not only because she liked him, but she wished to have someone like that. It was unfortunate that someone was already taken. And by her own sister.

She forced a smile, looking to the side as if she hadn't noticed Jezzah was next to them, staring at her with softness in his eyes.

"I have to go. Have a good day, guys!" she mentioned before looking at Brooklyn. "See you at home. Don't be late or Mom and Dad will be upset."

She hurried inside the car and turned the ignition on, backing up in the parking lot. As soon as they were all out of sight of her rearview mirror, Brooklyn kissing Michael once again, she finally let her tears roll down her cheeks, each day losing hope.