Chapter Nine

"Breathe. Focus."

Jeremiah closed his eyes, taking slow deep breaths as he tried to get his head in the game. He was already considered to go pro, but he couldn't slack off. He had to prove the scouts didn't make the wrong choice.

Coach Anderson was giving everyone the gameplay, making sure each and every player understood what he was aiming for. The chilly temperatures of the rink didn't keep his body from feeling warm, his adrenaline already spiking and his mind ready to start.

Their first game would be against one of the best teams in the state, and they had to prove they were better than them, but they needed to concentrate and play the game the way it should be.

No hesitation...

"Look alive, dude," Michael patted his chest, pulling him out of his trance, and they all got into position. As soon as Jeremiah looked up through his helmet, he saw Bexley sitting there, waving at him with a big smile on her face.

He wanted to do the same, but he couldn't afford to get distracted as he looked back at the ice, his eyes settled on the puck. Two of the players were positioned in the middle of the ice rink, waiting for the whistle to blow, signaling the start of practice.

Bexley felt awkward. She knew he saw her, but he surely did not acknowledge her. As the team started to play, she just sat there, looking at the guys swiftly making it across the ice.

Her heart was pounding and she was excited as she saw Jeremiah push and knock his adversary, wondering if that is how it was in practice, how would it be when the season started?

The guys were hard at work, skating, hitting the puck and each other, and keeping scores of their goals.

The practice went on for what seemed like forever, and the team was ready to hit the showers before heading to their dorms.

Bexley rushed down the benches, trying to catch up to them before Jeremiah disappeared from sight.

"Jezzah!" she called, her high-pitched excited voice catching his attention. He turned around, seeing her beautiful figure approach him with a smile on her face.

"So... dinner?" she asked in a hopeful, and insistent voice. Jeremiah chuckled and looked back at his teammates, who were already walking into the locker rooms.

"I'm a bit tired, Bexley. Maybe another day."

"Come on. Don't you want to celebrate with me?"

Tapping his hockey stick on the floor, he heaved a sigh. "There's just a small problem with this. I know we agreed to be friends again. And it has been a while since we last did, but the truth is..."

"The truth..." Bexley was trying to get him to finish saying what he needed to say as she put her hand on his arm, encouragingly.

"I can't do it. After that kiss, I can't stop thinking about you. And it's killing me, so for now, we just need to keep our distance from each other. Just for now, okay?"

Jeremiah didn't let her say another word before he walked away, running his hand on his hair in frustration while knowing this is not what he wanted. But the beautiful girl behind him would never return his affections.

Just as Michael would never return hers.

~~~~~~

After a long day of classes and practice, Jeremiah walked out of the rink and headed towards his dorm room, ready for a much-deserved rest.

Carolyn was waiting for him just out the door, surprising him as he wasn't expecting another visit from anyone in the association until the season started.

"Can we talk, Jeremiah?" she asked with a concerned look on her face. His first thought was that the scouts had changed their minds about him, and his chances were now null.

"Sure, what's going on?" he asked as he cleared his throat, trying to hide his nerves.

"It's about your friend, Michael. Can I give you a ride to your dorms?"

"No, it's okay. Everyone left already, so it's safe to talk."

If Carter was right about Michael, he wouldn't be able to trust his best friend. Jealousy can make you do terrible things, but he wouldn't forgive his ill intentions.

"Very well. You need to watch your back. He's not too happy about you being drafted, and he's told us that you have cheated your way into college. We know what's really going on, and how you came to be in the team, but you need to be aware Michael is not acting like a good friend."

Jeremiah nodded. Confirmation of what Carter said was all he needed, but he wanted to make sure Michael didn't know he knew about what he did, nor ruin his chances of going pro.

"He told us that if we drafted you, we might regret it. Also saying you were nothing but an ignorant country bumpkin. His words. I know being here telling you this is not professional, and I could get in big trouble for it. But as a future NHL player, I thought you would love to know."

She patted his shoulder, trying to comfort him before she walked away, got in her car, and drove off. Jeremiah's gaze followed her until she disappeared around the corner.

Feeling angry and disappointed, he walked towards the dorms, the cool air of the evening making him shiver as he pulled his jacket closer.

"I miss home," he muttered to himself. "Definitely warmer days."

After what seemed like forever, Jeremiah finally made it into his dorm room, only to notice the door was halfway open and the handle had been knocked off of it.

Opening the door wider, he saw chaos in his room. His bed had been moved, the sheets pulled off, and his drawers had been opened.

"What in Tarnation?" he mentioned, the drawl he barely had, now heavily pronounced.

He looked around, making sure nothing was missing, but after searching for a while, he came to the conclusion it was just a prank.

It wasn't too late to call campus security, so he grabbed his phone and dialed the number, explaining what he found.

"We'll be right there, Mr. Redd," a guard with a deep voice assured him before he hung up. He couldn't think of anyone who would be capable of doing this to him. With doubts about Michael, he would be the only culprit in this prank, but he didn't want to get there yet.

Jeremiah, against his better judgment, dialed Bexley.

"Hey, now you want to talk to me?" she asked with a bitter tone in her voice.

"Sorry to bother you and I hope you're not home yet."

"I'm actually doing homework, Jezzah. What do you need?"

Jeremiah took a deep breath. "My room has been broken into, there's a mess everywhere and I'm just waiting for security to arrive."

He heard a bit of shuffle on the other side. "What do you mean? Are you okay? Who could do this to you?"

He surprisingly found himself chuckling.

"Yes, I'm fine," he replied, finding her concern amusing. Maybe not giving up on her could be the better idea. There was that sliver of hope back in his mind.

"I'll be there shortly."

"No, you don't have..."

"Shut it, Redd. I'm going."

She didn't give him a chance to argue further when the phone clicked, hinting that the call was over.

A smile appeared on his lips, and he couldn't help but think that there may be something there.