Chapter Twenty-Six

Jeremiah stood there in shock, looking down at the beautiful woman in front of him, her green eyes staring back at his brown ones.

"Bexley, are you serious? Don't play with my heart like that. I've liked you for a while and it won't be fair if you were lying to me," he said, making her giggle.

"No, Jezzah. I truly like you. And... I think I have for a while. I was just too blind to realize it. But the moment you stepped into campus; it was like my heart was telling me to go to you."

"Then, why didn't you? What about Michael?"

Bexley let out a deep breath and looked at the snow globe, cranking the key one more time.

"Whatever I hoped would happen between us, I knew in my heart it wouldn't. It didn't even work with Brooks, and they looked like they were meant for each other."

Jeremiah was screaming with joy on the inside, and he wanted to take her in his arms, hug her and kiss her until their lips hurt. The afternoon sun snuck through a window, shining down on her, the light making her look beautiful.

There were no words. He didn't know what else to say. For so long, he's wanted her and had been dying to tell her to be his, but now that she took the initiative, he didn't know what to do.

Rubbing the back of his neck with his hand, he looked down, shyly. "I thought I was the one that was supposed to ask you."

"What, to be your boyfriend?" she teased, making him laugh. He shook his head and sighed.

"I've wanted you to be my girlfriend for a while..."

"Oh, just shut up and let's kiss," she giggled, wrapping her arms around his neck before she pressed her lips on his, giving him a heartfelt kiss. Jeremiah wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her close to him as he deepened it, pouring his love to her.

He finally had the girl, and he couldn't be any happier about it.

As the kiss went for what seemed like forever, they didn't realize they had an audience. Brooklyn and Marshall stood there, staring at them with their eyes wide open. His cousin smiled, something he wasn't accustomed to, but Jeremiah was deep in a make out session with a girl, and that made him happy for him.

Brooklyn squealed loudly, running towards them before she enveloped Bexley in a hug.

"I knew you would eventually tell him! It was about time you did!" she said, pulling away. Jeremiah frowned, confused.

"Wait, she had told you she liked me?" he asked as Bexley looked everywhere but him.

"Of course. I'm her sister. She told me weeks ago. I'm surprised she didn't tell you. But I guess I shouldn't. She's too stubborn."

Jeremiah nodded, staring at his now new girlfriend. "That she is."

Bexley blushed, punching him playfully in his arm as he chuckled and rubbed the part where she had hit him, trying to hold back a wince.

"Well, we came over because we need help unloading the truck, and Mrs. Redd is preparing lunch. But it seems you two were already eating," Brooklyn laughed, walking out of the barn. Marshall looked at his cousin, tipped the brim of his hat with a smile and followed her outside.

"Well, I guess this will be news with the family soon," Bexley mentioned, feeling nervous. She has never had a boyfriend, and she boldly asked him to be hers. Now, she was not sure how to tell her parents about it.

Jeremiah held her hand and kissed her knuckles, smiling at her as he noticed the battle she must have within her brain.

"Let's help them," he said, pulling her to the hay before they both took their skates off, putting their shoes on and heading out of the barn.

Bexley still had her snow globe tightly against her chest, her heart swelled at his romantic gesture, and she cursed herself for not giving him a chance earlier.

"Hey, lovebirds!" Brooklyn shouted. "Are you helping or what?"

Bexley opened her eyes wide, looking at the house to make sure their parents were inside and didn't hear her.

"We're coming," Jeremiah laughed.

"Let's go. I know you're nervous, but we will have to eventually tell our parents," He added, looking back at Bexley.

"I know, but Brooks can be a bit over the top," Bexley chuckled as he held her hand, pulling her towards the truck to help them unload it.

Inside the house, Dolly and Carol were already preparing the meal, while the men set the dining table before they sat down to watch some sports on the TV. Brooklyn and Marshall walked in with bags of groceries, and Bexley followed with Jeremiah as he carried more decorations for the house and the bag of already wrapped up presents.

Gina, the gift shop owner was good at it, and many of the townsfolk would go to her store. It was always a busy time of the year for her.

"There you both are!" His mother greeted them. "Won't you be a dear and help me peel these potatoes, Bexley?"

"Sure, Mrs. Redd," she replied, putting the gift on the table, where Carol noticed it from where she was sitting, mixing the salads.

"What's that, sweetheart?" she asked, curiously. Bexley turned to face her mother, her eyes meeting Jeremiah as he smiled, amused by the way she was afraid to tell her they had just decided to be together.

"It's my Christmas gift to your daughter, Mrs. Evans. And she..."

"I asked him to be my boyfriend, Mom," Bexley interjected, standing by his side with the peeler in her hand, breathing nervously. That confession caught their fathers' attention as they stopped what they were watching and turned their body on the couches.

"You want to bet my wife is overprotective?" he asked, talking about Carol.

"A twelve of beer," Jacob replied.

"Deal."

They both shook hands to seal it and got off the couches to witness the drama.

"You did?" Carol asked. "Bexley, Jeremiah is a great boy, and I know you two are friends, but don't you think being a couple is, I don't know, too fast? You need to finish college and you have plans for Germany. A boyfriend now will be distracting."

"Mom, please. You know Jezzah and he's wonderful. I regret not being his girlfriend sooner."

"I know. But this between you two can't just happen. Wait until you come back..."

"What, another four years? Six? When?" Bexley asked, wrapping her arm around his waist to show her mother they were meant to be together. "I'll go to Germany, but we'll still keep in contact. Right, Jezzah?"

Dolly wanted to say something, but Jeremiah held his hand up, gesturing for her to stay still. He sighed and gave her a soft smile, supporting her decision. Bexley noticed he wasn't too excited still about her leaving halfway across the world, but it's what she always wanted, and that's a decision she couldn't afford to change.

"Of course. We'll make it work," he said, hating the idea.

"I still don't think you should. At least not yet," Carol insisted, but her husband's hand on her shoulder made her stop. He shook his head at her as she took a deep breath and apologized to his parents for such a reaction.

"Mrs. Evans. I've liked your daughter for years now, and this was our chance to be together. I promise I won't be a distraction. I will support her in anything she decides."

"Jeremiah, we love you. But I can't afford to have my daughter's heart broken again by a boy, not when she's close to reaching her dreams. She suffered enough."

"Mom! Not that, please," Bexley begged, knowing where this was going.

"I am aware of her crush for Michael," Jeremiah said, trying to assure her he didn't care.

"Michael? She had a crush..." She looked at Brooklyn, who shook her head with pleading eyes to not mention anything else in front of her father. "Never mind that. So, you don't know."

"Know what?" Jeremiah asked, confused. She gave Bexley a disapproving stare.

"You didn't tell him about Liam?"