Chapter Thirty-Four

"Are you ready?" Carol asked, standing by her daughter's open room door, leaning against the frame. Bexley closed her luggage and set it on the floor, pulling the handle to wheel it out.

"Is Jeremiah coming to say goodbye?" she asked, hoping he did. Only seeing him once for the past week, she was afraid he didn't want to continue their relationship, scared the long distance would ruin it either way.

"We haven't heard, but Brooklyn is heading to campus as we speak. Maybe she went to get him," Carol replied, concerned. Her daughter's face lacked joy or excitement about the trip.

"This is a great opportunity. I'm doing the right thing. Right, Mom?"

Putting her hands on Bexley's shoulders, she sighed. "Follow your heart, sweetheart. Maybe it's taking you to where you're meant to be. But it's your job to listen to it."

Bexley nodded and smiled sadly at her mother as they both embraced each other. Paul walked in, kissed his daughter's forehead and grabbed her luggage.

"Car is ready. We're all going to take you there."

All three walked out of the room and straight to the front door, where Nabanji waited, smiling at her friend, who she would miss dearly. Carter stood by her side, his hands on his jean pockets, making Bexley chuckle.

That boy would not give up until her best friend agreed to date him. Which funny enough, she didn't know he even liked her to begin with.

"We had practice today, but I decided to say goodbye and wish you the best of luck there. You'll do great," he mentioned, reaching for her and giving her a brotherly, if not awkward hug. "I will miss sneaking into my friend's room and stealing his hockey album." He chuckled.

"You'll survive," Bexley said, punching him slightly on his shoulder.

As they all headed to the car, Carter waved them goodbye and kissed Nabanji's hand before he got in his and drove off.

That's where he's at, practice. She thought, losing hopes that he would even want to see her off at the airport.

"Brooklyn texted me just now. She'll meet us at the airport," Carol mentioned, being the last to get in the car, turning back to see Bexley look out the window, wiping away a few tears that had rolled down her cheeks.

"Okay, Mom." Was all she could say and with that, her father turned the ignition on and drove towards the airport. She put her headphones on and played the song that made that day a memorable one. Same Truck played once again on her phone, and she closed her eyes, thinking of how she would miss him.

~~~~~~

Brooklyn jogged down the skating rink, looking for Jeremiah amongst the players that were practicing for their playoffs. She stood in one of the benches, whistling and waving, hoping he would notice her.

"Jezzah!" she called, getting everyone's attention, even his. He skated forward and met her by the glass wall, sighing.

"What are you doing here, Brooks?" he asked.

"What do you think I'm doing here, you dumb-dumb? My sister is leaving today for Germany, and you can't even bother skipping practice to see your girlfriend off? I have to meet them at the airport, so change right now, and meet me at the car."

"Brooklyn. I can't..."

"I don't care, Jezzah. She needs you there." She ran her hand through her hair. "Do you think it's easy for her to leave you? To leave all of us?"

"Well, your sister didn't hesitate in making that choice. I have to respect that."

With a scream of frustration, she banged the glass hard, making him jump back.

"You're an asshole! Coward! You don't deserve Bexley!" she shouted as all the players, including the coach, stared at them. She raised her hands in defeat. "Fine, your choice."

Brooklyn walked out of the rink and got in her car, her hands holding the steering wheel, the knuckled turning white for holding it too hard.

She only hoped Jeremiah would change his mind and run out to her car.

A few minutes later, her wide smile took over her porcelain face, seeing how he rushed out, frantically zipping up his coat and putting his hat on his head.

She opened the other door, letting him in. "You win. I don't want to let her go, but she deserves as much as me being there for her."

"Good boy." She smirked, starting her car and rushing out of the parking lot.

~~~~~~

The Evans were checking Bexley at the gate, leaving the luggage to be loaded in the plane, making sure she had everything she needed in Germany.

"Do you have your cell phone charger? And the outlet converter we bought you?" Carol asked, anxious. Paul pulled her back and kissed her temple.

"She's fine, dear. Bexley got everything she needs," he chuckled, pulling away from his wife to take his daughter in a long embrace. "I'll miss you, baby girl."

"I'll miss you too, Dad. I'll miss all of you," she replied in a soft voice, looking at the entrance where she was expecting for Brooklyn to walk in at any moment with Jeremiah in tow.

No such luck.

After Nabanji hugged her and wished her the best, Bexley picked the small bag and set it on her shoulder. That's when she finally let her tears take over. Not only because she would miss her family, but because the man she loves didn't care enough to say goodbye.

"See you all in six months," she waved, turning around to give the boarding pass to the lady at the entrance of the gate.

"Bexley! Wait!" she heard Jeremiah shout as he ran towards her, dodging the passengers trying to hurriedly get to their own planes. After almost bumping into someone, he stood in front of her and stared into her eyes, not finding the right words to say.

"You came," Bexley mentioned, smiling in relief.

Please, stop me. Stop me, right now. She begged mentally.

"I did," he replied, reaching for her hands. "I just wish I could stop you right now and take you away with me. But..."

"But you don't want me to resent you, right? Brooklyn told me."

He turned to take a glance at Brooklyn, who shrugged her shoulders with her arms folded on her chest. She sure would have an earful from him, but he chuckled all the same.

Turning back to face Bexley, he leaned over and kissed her lips, pouring his love and sadness all in one. "Please, don't find a cute German guy there," he whispered on her lips, making her giggle.

"Never. I want to come back to my wonderful cowboy. You better wait for me."

"I will always wait for you, darlin'." He pulled away and Bexley couldn't help but wipe a lone tear from his cheek, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"I love you," she whispered. "Good luck with the championship. You will get to the finals and win. And I'll be watching it."

"You better," he breathed, his voice breaking. "I love you too, princess."

With one last hug to Brooklyn, she made her promise to watch over the family and over Jeremiah. "I will," she said, pushing her towards the gate, where the woman impatiently waited for the pass.

As soon as she did, she stood at the entrance, giving her family one last glance. "I love you all. See you soon."

With those words, and two broken hearts, the door had shut behind her, bringing her to a new chapter of her life, and one she hoped was the fastest.

She put the bag on the compartment overhead and sat on her designated seat, looking out the window, just to catch her family waving at her from behind the glass.

More tears rolled down her cheeks as she waved back, doubting they would be able to see her.

"I'll come back. Goodbye."