Chapter Twenty-Four

As they rode on their way to the ranch, Bexley couldn't help but admire the landscape that was left behind, her hand still wrapped on Jeremiah's arm while breathing the fresh air from the countryside.

On one side there were cows grazing and horses galloping, on the other, farmers driving their tractors while picking up the hay and setting it on the trailer in the back.

"This place is beautiful," she smiled as her mind reeled with thoughts of a life here. But she shook them off, seeing them as impossible dreams. She had plans for after graduation, and it was not living in a place like this, no matter how wonderful the idea sounded at the moment.

"It truly is. And I can't wait to come back home," Jeremiah mentioned as Bexley turned her head, unshed tears glistening in her eyes. "I will definitely accept that contract. No matter how much they will offer, because I know I'll be close to my family."

"That's wonderful," Bexley unknowingly laid her chin on his shoulder, her eyes trying to meet his. Jeremiah looked at her and kissed her forehead, Bexley loving the sweet gesture.

"I hope you're ready for Germany," he blurted. She nodded and sighed.

"I'm nervous, but it has been my dream all my life."

Jeremiah sighed while his heart ached more at the thought of her thousands of miles away from him. "That's the funny thing about dreams, they can sometimes change."

"Jeremiah..."

"I know. Sorry, I know I sound selfish. It's just that... Bexley, I can't hide what I feel for you. You're everything to me, and I know you don't feel the same way, but..."

She wanted him to just shut up, so she cupped his cheek and pressed her lips against his on a chaste kiss, feeling the fire burning inside her.

When will I have the courage to tell him? Curse you, Bexley Evans. Curse you and your insecurity, she thought as the warmth of his lips made her heart beat faster and faster.

They both pulled away with their eyes closed as they pressed their foreheads against each other.

"For someone who doesn't like me that way, you sure love to kiss me," he smirked. Bexley rolled her eyes, leaning against the window, trying to hold back a smile.

"I just don't know what I want when it comes to this," she replied, pointing in between them.

"Well, if you decide you do want me, let me know," he breathed, changing his tone; disappointment was clear in his voice.

They arrived at the ranch, and Bexley was impressed at how grand and beautiful it looked.

As they got down, she stared at the red barn on the side of the house, the sounds of the horses inside made her smile.

Their land went on for miles, and she couldn't wait to explore it. The house was even more amazing. A tan color, with a wraparound porch and flower pots hanging in the front. Wooden cushioned recliners sat on each side, and the scent of cookies came out of the door, inviting her in to try one.

"Wow, this is just... I am speechless, Jezzah!" she exclaimed, looking at him. "You're a lucky man."

"I truly am. I love my family, and I love my home. Now, there's something I wanted to show you before we join everyone inside the house."

He grabbed her hand and pulled her towards a rundown barn behind the red one, Jeremiah smiling at her before he slid the door open, showing what Bexley loved the most.

"A skating rink?" she asked, walking further in while a bright smile appearing on her face as she ran her hand over the half wall of the small wooden rink.

"Yes. My grandfather built it when my dad was young. He wanted him to follow his dreams, so since we don't get much snow or ice down here, he thought a wooden rink would do. Dad gave me his roller skates when it was time for him to hang them, and the rest is history."

"Your dad was smart. He raised a talented hockey player."

"I wish I could amount to his talent."

Bexley turned to face him, folding her arms on her chest as she gazed at him. "Everyone has their own. No need to compare yourself with him."

"You're right, darlin'," he replied, his drawl heavier than before.

"You seem to have changed the way you talk. I mean, you sound more like a northerner when you're up there."

"I had to fit in. Who wants to hear a cowboy with a heavy drawl up there? They sure would make fun of me."

With a smile on her face, she approached him, mere inches from his body. "You don't have to pretend to be someone you're not, Jezzah. You're amazing the way you are."

They gazed at each other, debating whether they should kiss again, when his mother's voice echoed through the air, calling them into the house.

Jeremiah extended his hand, gesturing for her to take it before they both made their way there, letting go as they walked through the doors. Bexley felt cold, missing the warmth his hands were emanating.

"Well, now that my son is here, with his cute friend," Dolly said, facing the rest of her guests. "I want to officially welcome you all into our home. There's a lot of things to do in town for the holidays, and we can't wait to show you all around."

"Thank you for having us," Carol mentioned, smiling at her husband. "It took a bit of convincing, but we finally got the head of the household to let us come."

He smiled at his wife, kissing her cheek before he also thanked them for their invitation.

After eating a generous amount of cookies, drinking coffee and chatting non stop, they all headed to the living room to help decorate the natural tree the ranch hands cut down before they all went into their own holiday vacation.

"Wow, that's a big tree," Brooklyn mentioned, sitting on one of the couches, her eyes not leaving the handsome cowboy that had been introduced to her a while ago.

"Do you like my brother?" Sophia asked, sitting closely next to her, making her jump in surprise.

"What?"

"Do you like my brother? He's cute, isn't he?"

"Umm. Yes, he's cute. But, how can I like him, when I don't even know him?"

Sophia waved her hand. "You don't need to. You can still like him, no matter how long you've known each other." She leaned closer, whispering in her ear. "He's twenty five, and needs a girlfriend, bad. He's grumpy and too serious."

"Sophia," Marshall scolded with his deep voice as the little girl looked at him with a sheepish smile, getting off the couch and joining the family to decorate the tree.

Brooklyn smiled at him when his eyes met hers, but he wasn't impressed. Or at least that's what she thought.

"Here, take this," Jeremiah said, handing Bexley a small ornament. An angel with a white gown and golden wings, its hair as dark as the purest ebony on Earth.

She smiled and hung it up on the tree, seeing it shine under the bright light of the day that snuck in through the window.

"Perfect," she sighed contentedly. Looking forward to an amazing holiday week, full of fun and lots of food, she knew right then sooner than later, she would finally confess her feelings for him.