Chapter Fifteen

Jeremiah had woken up without energy the morning after. His room was already cleaned, thanks to Bexley's help, and he thought being with her in the ice rink would have given him a step ahead on pursuing her.

But he had made her upset and wasn't sure how he would make it up to her. If it wasn't because of his selfish reasons, he wouldn't be sulking in his room.

It was barely five in the morning, when he looked at the alarm, thinking he should do an early practice, since there would be no one there at this time.

Kicking off his sheets, he got out of bed and took a nice warm shower, getting dressed before heading out of his room, locking the door behind him. The maintenance guy had fixed his doorknob while he was out, and he was grateful for his efficiency.

After his room was broken into, he didn't want to risk sleeping with a busted lock.

Putting the team sweater and a hat on, he left the building, deciding to take a walk towards the rink. Without being able to afford a car, he had to walk or depend on a ride or the bus to get everywhere. His job barely got him by, his money going straight to his other necessities, and he refused to bother his parents for any financial help.

As soon as he arrived at the ice rink, he headed straight to his locker, completely dismissing the fact that the arena would be occupied. As he put his skates on, he thought of the night before, and how Bexley's panic attack made him realize how much he truly cared for her.

Jeremiah walked out of the locker room after putting on his skates, and headed towards the arena, hearing a soft voice talking, and the familiarity of it let him know it was her.

As he approached the ice, he saw Bexley sitting on it, a blanket underneath her as she wiggled her skate-wearing feet while she looked down, writing notes or drawing on a pad.

"Thank you very much. I'm sure this will surprise Nabanji, and I'm looking forward to starting practice for the season opening event." She hung up after saying her goodbyes to whoever was on the other line and lifted her gaze, her eyes meeting his.

She blew out a deep breath before focusing back on her notepad.

"What are you doing here? I thought the hockey team didn't have practice today," she said, coldly.

"I thought you didn't have practice today," he replied with the same tone of voice, trying to show her he wasn't in the least intimidated by her attitude, but in reality, he wanted to just kneel in front of her and kiss her senseless.

"It's the weekend, and it's the only time I get the rink for myself as no one else wakes up this early to come in."

Jeremiah skated in, sitting by her side, his knees propped under his elbows as he looked down at the ice. Bexley was silent, still scribbling on her pad. He took a peek, noticing she was designing a dress.

"What is that?" he asked, curiously. Bexley closed her notepad, tapping her pencil on the cover while she tried not to look annoyed. He shrugged his shoulders, looking back to the wall. "Sorry, I was just curious."

She sighed, defeated, opening her notepad again and showing him the page where she had the design.

"Wow," he said, flipping a few of them. "This is amazing, Bexley. What is it?"

"It's my costume for the season opener."

"Wait. You won't be using yours?"

Bexley shook her head, propping her knees just as he had done while wrapping her arms around them.

"I want to honor Nabanji and her culture by dancing to her music and using her choreography. No one knows I'll do it and her mom will be coming from Zambia to watch it. I will talk to Mom so she can sew the dress for me.

"Do you think she will without asking questions?" he asked.

Bexley nodded as tears rolled down her cheeks. She tried to keep her composure, but her heart ached. "She will still have her questions, but I know she will do this for me. I'm not sure how much longer Nabanji have with us, so this was the perfect opportunity for her to at least enjoy her performance, even if it's from the stands."

Jeremiah smiled softly at her as he raised his arm and wrapped it around her shoulder, pulling her close to him before she broke down in sobs. "I'm scared."

"I know you are," he said, kissing her head. "But this is life, Bexley. Whether she beats this, or she loses the battle, she knows how much you and your family loved her and how hard you all worked to make her feel comfortable. God might want her back, he might not. Just live life one day at a time."

Bexley lifted her gaze. "How can you always be so positive? I wish I had your optimism," she chuckled.

"My father was a preacher, and being from a small town, everyone was expected to attend service, or the gossip would be really, really bad."

"Oh, I bet," she laughed harder, hiding her face on his shoulder before she cried again. "I want to have faith she'll make it. She needs to go back home to her family and friends and live fully. She's still young and it's too early for her to leave this world."

Jeremiah lifted her chin and looked at her straight into her eyes, stroking her cheeks. "Everything will be okay. Either way it goes, it will."

She gazed up at his face before she unknowingly leaned over and pressed her lips against his, her heart suddenly becoming more alive with each touch of their sensitive skin.

Bexley deepened the kiss, wrapping one arm around his neck, testing the waters while remembering her best friend's words.

They both pulled away, trying to catch their breaths. But just as quickly, she covered her mouth and opened her eyes wide, realizing what she had just done.

"I'm sorry, Jezzah. I have to go," she said as she picked her things, leaving her blanket on the ice with him.

"Bexley, wait!" Jeremiah called. She was already on her way to the door, kicking off her skates and heading out with her shoes in hand, not bothering to put them on.

He ran his hand through his hair in frustration but smiled as he knew she somehow felt the same he did.

He picked the blanket from the ice, hung it on the wall by the hockey bench and skated around, not forgetting about that sweet kiss.

And it was her who had initiated.

Jeremiah skated around for a few more minutes, leaving the ice after taking his skates off and putting them inside his locker. He stored Bexley's skates as she had left them in the middle of the rink.

"Hey, man!" Michael walked in; a smile plastered on his face as he extended his arms to hug his best friend. "I didn't know you would be here!"

The smell of alcohol hit Jeremiah's nose, standing from the bench before he backed away, looking at Michael with disapproving eyes.

"You're skunk-drunk, dude. Better take a shower and get a change of clothes," he mentioned, making Michael laugh as Jeremiah's heavy drawl had come out of his mouth.

"There's that country bumpkin! You're starting to sound like your own self again. No use pretending to be a northerner. You'll never fit in."

"What are you talking about?" Jeremiah frowned as Michael smirked.

"You never belonged here. And you don't belong in the NHL. That spot was mine, and you took it from me!" he shouted, grabbing Jeremiah by the sweater before he threw a punch, hitting him on the left eyebrow.

Jeremiah touched his face, feeling the blood going down his cheek as he pushed Michael away from him, the latter charging again with anger before he was able to stop him, tackling him to the ground.

"Stop it, dude!" he shouted, pinning him against the floor when he heard the door open, a gasp coming from the blonde girl standing by the door.

Another realization came to mind.

"So, now you're cheating on Brooks, huh?"