Chapter Twenty-Three

They won the game against the biggest rival their school had, and Jeremiah was over the moon over it. A goal at the last minute made by him had gotten the team a victory and a pass to the playoffs. Now they were making their way to his home, ready to have a good time with his family.

"I'm so excited to spend Christmas with your family, Jezzah," Brooklyn mentioned, taking a glass of orange juice from their stewardess before gulping it down. "Oh, I wish this had some rum in it."

"Brooklyn. You're still under twenty-one, so don't you even think about it," her mother scolded as she sat in the back of their private plane, knitting.

"Just one, Mom? Come on, I'm just short of being at the age to drink," Brooklyn pouted like a little girl.

"Mind your mother, Brooklyn," Paul replied, giving his daughter a hard stare.

"Okay, Dad. Sorry."

She munched on her bowl of fruit and looked out the window, enjoying the view of the sun over the clouds. Jeremiah sat in the front of the plane, going over a hockey magazine before Bexley sat next to him.

"Are you having fun so far?" she asked, referring to the plane ride.

"Oh, yeah. Flying on a private plane is just great! I have always had to fly coach, no matter how much my family could afford first class."

"Wait. Your family has money?" Brooklyn was curious. Bexley turned to see her, urging with her eyes to keep her mouth quiet. Her sister zipped her mouth and kept focusing on the view outside of the window.

"Well, that says a lot about you. How you care about others. You're humble. Unlike other people who have all the money in the world, you were just raised right." Bexley smiled, raising her hand to push a strand of hair that had fallen on his forehead. The simple touch kept sending sparks all over his body, and it was becoming harder to resist.

Especially since he has tasted those lips three times already, and he wanted more of them.

"My parents did indeed raise me right. And I owe them so much. That's why when I start playing for Tennessee, I will make sure they get a well-deserved vacation. And when I move there..."

"Wait, you're moving there?" Bexley asked, her heart suddenly aching. She was hoping he would stay back in Connecticut and maybe play for a team like Boston. It would be just a couple of hours away from her, instead of more down in Tennessee.

But she had forgotten she would move to Germany soon, so it would be even further from him.

"Well, if I'm playing with them, I have to move down here. And what better place than to go back to my ranch. I've missed my family a lot," he said with a sad smile.

"That makes sense." Bexley leaned back against the backrest of the couch, looking at her fingers while fidgeting them over her lap. Jeremiah could sense how much this was bothering her, so he closed the magazine and held her hand, turning her face so she could look at him.

"But maybe if you gave me a chance, this could work, and you could move there with me."

Bexley couldn't help but blush, looking at her family to make sure none of them had heard what he was proposing.

"I can't and you know it. I have big plans after college and moving to the South is not in them."

Jeremiah nodded, pulling away while giving her an understanding smile, going back to his magazine. She felt bad, but her decision was made. She would be far and become a pro skater.

Unless those plans changed, and she was afraid they might. All because she couldn't stop thinking about the cute country boy sitting next to her.

"No worries. It didn't hurt to try. But I know and understand that you have to move on with your dreams, while I have mine. And I'm sure having you for myself will never come true."

"Jezzah..."

"No. Let's just enjoy this week of vacation and have fun with my family. You'll love them."

"Okay. I'm looking forward to it," she whispered, standing up from the seat and joining her sister on the other side. He gazed at her, cursing himself, but she was too stubborn to admit her heart might beat for him, and he was too stubborn to stop begging her for a chance.

He looked back down at the pictures in the magazine, reading articles of the team he might be playing for when he graduates.

Hearing what happened to Michael didn't make Jeremiah happy as he never wished ill to anyone, but he deserved it, and hoped one day, he would regret what he had done and the opportunities he had missed out of jealousy.

The plane landed on a small airstrip in the middle of nowhere, where cows grazed and nothing but miles of corn field came into view. They stepped down as the pilot and stewardess carried the luggage out of the plane.

"Jay Jay!" A girl about ten years old ran towards him, hugging him and laughing while he twirled her around.

"How is my favorite girl in the whole world?" he asked, pinching her cheeks.

"Stop it! I'm not six anymore. I'm a big girl," she said, hugging him tighter. "I missed you!"

She took a glance at Brooklyn and Bexley. "Oh, are these your friends? Is that the girl you like?" she asked, pointing at Bexley, who couldn't seem to stop blushing.

"Yes, they're my friends. And yes, she's the girl I like," he replied, earning a glare from her as he leaned down to whisper in the little girl's ears. "But she doesn't want to accept that she likes me back."

Jeremiah stood and faced her family. "This is little Sophia. She's my little cousin. Marshall's sister."

"Oh, nice to meet you. I can't wait to meet your brother as well." Brooklyn didn't waste time to introduce herself, while Bexley rolled her eyes; her sister was being a bit too forward.

"Hello, dear!" Jeremiah's mom approached them, hugging her son before she faced the rest of her guests. "Hi everyone. My name is Dolly, and this is my husband, Jacob. Welcome to our humble town."

"Thank you for having us. It's a pleasure meeting you." Carol said as the short red-haired lady hugged her tightly, doing the same with the rest of them.

They urged them to head towards his truck, while another one pulled over; a tall handsome cowboy stepping out.

"Sorry for being late, Uncle Jacob. There was a problem with the horses back at the ranch," he sighed, his deep voice getting Brooklyn's attention.

"Marshall! We have guests coming over!" Sophia said, holding his hand. "Isn't it great?"

His eyes met Brooklyn's and it was as if a thunder had struck him. A beautiful northern stranger was visiting his town, and he was already drooling over her.

"Yes, let's help them get in these trucks. Hello, Jay. Nice to see you, champ," he said, hugging his cousin, each patting the other's back.

"Nice seeing you too. Now that you're all here, why don't we head to the house so the Evans can rest? Then we can all get to know each other," Jeremiah suggested, urging everyone to get in the two large pick-up trucks.

There was not much space in them, so Jeremiah decided to take Bexley to the bed in the back, helping her up before she sat down near the rear window.

He sat right next to her, both of them on a bale of hay Marshall carried in the back of the truck.

As they drove off, she felt herself fall forward and held Jeremiah's arms, trying to keep herself steady.

It would be a long ride to the ranch, and he was already wanting to kiss her again.