Chapter Four

Jeremiah's heart could not stop beating inside his chest as he walked towards the kitchen, following Bexley. Laura had finished preparing the broth when Bexley offered him some. He gladly accepted, rubbing his belly as if he was starving.

The brush of their fingers as she handed him the bowl made the hair of his neck rise in attention, loving the feeling she was causing in him.

But hearing the laughter in the living room made her wince, something he had noticed and wasn't sure he should mention. He knew how much it hurt her to hear how happy the couple on the other side of the doorway was.

"Do you want something to drink before we dig into the food?" she asked, smiling at him, hiding the fact she wasn't content.

"You don't have to pretend with me, you know?" he blurted out, getting a glare from her as she looked at Laura, who seemed to be too busy on her own cooking to even hear what he just said.

Bexley leaned over, giving him a forced smile.

"Don't you dare mention another word about this. No one knows my feelings for Michael, and it's better that way," she whispered angrily.

Unshed tears appeared on her eyes, making them shine under the chandelier light overhead. She wanted her secret to stay that way; a secret. It was enough that he knew about it, she didn't need him broadcasting it to the entire world.

"Bexley, you have been feeling this way since freshman year. He doesn't love you..."

"Stop it!" she said between gritted teeth, a lone tear falling before she was able to wipe it away. "Let's just forget about this and have a good time, okay? It has been a while since we hung up together, and I really miss those days."

Jeremiah scoffed internally, but he didn't want to upset her any further. He had his own heartbreak to deal with.

"I miss those days too. But you have no idea how much," he muttered, lucky that she didn't hear him.

Jeremiah and Bexley used to go everywhere together in their freshman and sophomore years, but the junior year came along, and it had all changed.

Between hockey and figure skating, they barely had time to hang out anymore, and their friendship had died with it.

Now, tonight, he had a chance to bring back the memories of the good times they used to have. Laura looked over her shoulder, smiling at herself as it had been a sight she thought she would never see.

Bexley hadn't been herself for a while, and tonight was a good night for her. As she handed her a bowl, she patted the girl's shoulder, giving her an approving smile before she went back to her duties.

"How's Nabanji doing, by the way?" Jeremiah asked, curious about her best friend. Bexley shrugged her shoulders, picking in her food while not daring to look at him in his eyes.

"Mom said she had a fall while she was outside," she sighed. "It's not getting any better, and I feel like we have failed her and her family. She was exchanged here to get the best treatment she needs. But her cancer is too advanced."

Jeremiah put his hand on hers, squeezing it in reassurance before he raised it to lift her chin, seeing her eyes glistening once again. With a soft smile on his face, he could make her day better and she had missed that.

"She'll be fine. I have faith," she added, not sure of it, but he didn't need to know that. They both kept enjoying their meal, when Brooklyn and Michael walked in, one tangled in the other's arms, kissing the living days out of each other.

"Easy on the PDA you two," Laura scolded as they both sat down next to Bexley, waiting for her to serve them as well.

"So, Jezzah. Who was that lady talking to you earlier?" Brooklyn asked, genuinely interested. Jeremiah smiled, looking at Michael, who was quiet.

"Someone who needed a tour around the ice rink, that's all," he lied while his best friend gave him a disapproving stare, knowing well he might have caught the eye of the NHL.

His eyes fell on Bexley, who was suddenly feeling uncomfortable as she put her hair behind her ears, looking down at the table.

"Actually, I was thinking about heading back to campus. I had told Michael I have a lot of homework to do," Jeremiah mentioned, getting up from the chair before he walked over to the sink to hand Laura the bowl.

He turned around, seeing Bexley still sitting there. There was no way he would let her stay, seeing her sister and her crush have a make-out session in front of her.

It made him angry that she would go through the torture.

Leaning down next to her, he whispered in her ear. "Do you want to come over? I might need help with some Math problems."

Bexley sighed in relief; she couldn't wait to get out of there any faster. Picking up her own bowl, she dropped it on the counter and grabbed Jeremiah's hand, both of them heading out of the kitchen and out of the house.

"Thank you for taking me out of there," she giggled, bumping her shoulder playfully against his. "I don't think I could have taken more of their affections."

Jeremiah stopped and turned around to face her, a solemn expression on his face. "You should stop torturing yourself like that. He clearly doesn't like you that way, Bexley. He's your sister's boyfriend."

"Yes, but who knows? They might break up and he might come to me for some comfort," she said, hopeful.

"Do you hear yourself right now? You're so blind by your obsession with him that you don't realize what's in front of you."

"What is that supposed to mean?" she asked as he walked away, making her follow him until they reached her Beetle.

"Nothing. I just don't want you to end up with a broken heart. He's not the one for you," Jeremiah tried to get into her head and make it clear Michael would never reciprocate her love. If only she felt that way towards him, he would do anything in his power to make her happy.

But it was not that easy.

Her infatuation with the team captain was too great for her to notice anything or anyone else around her. Bexley wanted to know the reasons why he was so against her feelings for his best friend.

Other than obviously him belonging to her sister.

As much as it pained her, she had to respect their relationship, but that didn't mean she couldn't feel what she felt.

"Why do you think he's not the one for me?"

"Because he's taken, Bexley!" he shouted, making her flinch. She was so stubborn and naive, he thought to himself. Jeremiah suddenly cupped her cheeks and planted a demanding kiss on her lips.

Time froze for him, his heart stopped as he felt the softness of their lips molding together. He could taste the sweet nectar that made his heart beat erratically for her.

Pulling away from Bexley, he left her standing there with her eyes wide open, shocked at what he had just done.

"I'll walk to campus. You can go back inside, I won't be needing you after all. I'll see you around," he cleared his throat at the awkwardness of it all, running his hand through his hair as he backed away. Jeremiah shook his head, cursing at himself for not being able to hold himself.

"What the hell do you think you're doing, idiot," he whispered to himself, running his hand down his face in frustration. "Way to ruin it all."

As he walked down the sidewalk, he heard a vehicle stopping next to him, Bexley reaching over to open the passenger door from inside.

"It's a long walk to campus, hop in," she offered with a shaky voice, but he stood there, looking at the distance.

"I can make it."

"Jeremiah Jones Redd. Get. In. The. Car," she put emphasis on each word she mentioned, demanding, making him get in quickly. Jeremiah did as ordered and closed the door before Bexley pulled off and drove towards campus.

Neither one dared to speak.