Chapter Thirty-Eight

The news hit Jeremiah like a bucket of ice-cold water, staring out front to make sure her parents were still watching the road, and not listening in. To their luck, they had stopped at a gas station, and both of them had stepped out, walking inside the store to get some snacks and pay for the gas.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"Sure if it's his? Of course I am. I hadn't had sex with Michael in forever, and your cousin was the last man I was with. So, yes, I am sure it is his."

Jeremiah looked out the window, furiously rubbing his chin as he tried to process the news. He turned around to face her, held her hand and smiled. "Thanks for confiding in me, but you need to tell him, and the sooner the better."

"No, Jezzah. We left things in the worst way. He won't want to know anything about me."

"Marshall doesn't like when people lie to him, or hide things from him. So, you better tell him, or I will. He's my family, and I can't hide something so important to him."

Brooklyn sighed, looking down so as to not let him see she wanted to let her tears out, but she was afraid. She wasn't expecting to end up pregnant, but she shouldn't be surprised. They let themselves dive in the heat of the moment, and hadn't used protection.

"I will tell him on my own time."

"When? When your kid is born? When it turns 10? 20? You need to tell him, Brooklyn. Don't do this to him. He will hate it."

"I'm sorry, Jezzah. But I won't tell him yet. And if I confided in you, it's because I trust you. You will keep this to yourself, and promise me you will let me handle it as best as I can."

He shook his head in disapproval, and knowing his cousin, he would be furious to know he will father a kid and was left in the dark about it.

"I will find a modeling academy and I will follow my dreams. Maybe I can support my baby by myself," she whispered.

"The hell you will! You have a family, and your parents have the right to know too."

"They know. At least Mom and Dad do, and they will support me. But I am afraid to tell Bexley too. She will be disappointed in me."

He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and held her close, kissing her hair as she leaned her head on his. "She will be ecstatic to know she'll be an aunt," he chuckled. "We all love you, and we're here for you. But I'm still insisting you tell Marshall, even if you don't see him again; he has to know."

Brooklyn lifted her head, staring at him as she bit her lips. "No, and that's the end of it."

The conversation ended as her parents stepped into the car, ready to get on the road again hoping to cover as many miles as they could before it got dark.

Brooklyn thought to herself how she could give Marshall the news without him getting upset, or not wanting anything to do with her or their baby.

No, she wouldn't. She would move on and raise the baby on her own. No cowboy needed in their lives.

~~~~~~

Bexley was preparing for her opening event, putting her hair up in a bun and applying her makeup. It has been days since she was able to talk to her family back home, her busy schedule has kept her from doing so, but she promised herself to call Jeremiah as soon as the event was over.

"Ready?" Jessica said as she stood by the door, her arms folded on her chest. Bexley nodded and set her makeup down on the vanity table, making her way towards the rink.

Before she could step out of the locker room, Jessica grabbed her by the arm, looking down at her. "I will warn you, Miss Evans. If you ruin this for us, you will regret it."

"Is that a threat?" Bexley asked, sizing her up. "There must be a reason why you're forcing me to skate with your brother, even though I told you I didn't want to, and I will find out. But, don't worry, I'll make you proud. If your little show falls, it will be your own fault."

"Listen to me, you little brat..."

"No, you listen. If my career goes to the dump, yours will too. I worked too hard to get here, and you won't ruin this for me." Snatching her arm away from Jessica's grasp, she headed out and met Liam beside the rink, her eyes focusing on the ice.

"Are you okay?" he asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Am I, when I have to skate with your sorry ass?" she seethed, her eyes still not meeting his. Peter and Gregory sat on the benches, smiling at them in encouragement.

"Bexley, I swear I want to make things right..."

She turned her head to look at him, her eyes full of anger and hate towards the man that almost ruined her life back in high school. "Don't you dare, Liam Parker. There won't be anything between you and I but this performance. After that, you leave me alone."

As the announcer spoke on the microphone, welcoming the crowd to the start of the Olympics, Bexley's heart couldn't help but beat uncontrollably, and she felt as if it would jump out of her chest.

"Now, with you, two of the best figure skaters in the states, Bexley Evans and Liam Parker!" The crowd went wild, as the two of them had been well known in high school, and she was famous in her college campus, but wasn't expecting to get a great reaction from the people watching them.

"Remember, let's do this properly and my sister's academy will benefit from this. She needs the money to keep it afloat." That confession surprised her, and wondered if the other two scouts knew about the problem her academy was in.

"It's all about money, sweetheart," he added just as the music started and they started their performance. Bexley focused on her steps and glided down the ice with such grace, entertaining the crowd easily.

"Careful," Liam chuckled, holding her waist tightly in his hands, lifting her in the air effortlessly. But without her expecting it, Liam let her fall on the ice with a loud thump, her leg hitting the hard floor, making her scream in pain.

The crowd gasped and murmured as she laid there; judging by how painful it was, it might be over.

"We need the medics here!" Someone shouted in German as the medical response ran inside the rink, checking on her. Liam looked down at her with a smirk before he skated out of the rink and disappeared between the crowd.

Tears streamed down her cheeks and cursed herself for even accepting the opportunity. She was safe home, with her family. With Jeremiah, doing what she loved to do.

She should have said yes to moving with him to Tennessee, and starting a new life with her handsome cowboy.

And this; assured her that it was the end of her career for her.