Chapter 47 - Lucy

A/N Sorry it's a bit late, I was having a few technical issues that weren't all technical. Haha. Sorry. 😓 Please enjoy Minna! 💃

“The only mermaid I want to see again is Aquarius and maybe if there are any other merfolk keys left. Oh I guess Poseidon is considered one too?” I mumbled out loud and both Natsu and Happy stopped complaining and thought about it too.

“I mean does he?” Natsu asked, looking confused. “Can’t he also give himself legs like Hades and Zeus?” Happy started muttering in agreement while we all thought about it for a long time.

Just then his key started to shine and we all heard his laughter, “You could just ask,” he continued to laugh. I can’t blame him, the whole thing was kind of ridiculous.

“So are you a fish person like the ones Natsu found you with?” Happy asked innocently and we all waited for him to stop laughing.

“No little Happy. I am no more a merfolk than you are a cat. They were created with me in mind but we are not the same.” I could hear him almost crying while he laughed.

“Who are you three talking to?” Erza asked and we all looked up before I put my keys away again.

“Oh, just one of my newer spirits.” I smiled back at her before adding. “I can’t really summon him here though, there isn’t enough space or water for that.” They nodded but still looked at me confused.

“So let’s go pick out a mission?” I suggested trying to get everyone back on track again. I had already shown Erza a map and the areas that I still needed to search for the keys in and we had already decided to pick a mission from one of those areas.

“Looks like I’m just in time,” Master walked up smiling at us and Natsu and I grinned at him. “I had an old friend request this mission and usually it would be an S ranked mission but considering Erza is with you it should be fine.” I got to listen to Gray and Natsu cheering at finally getting an approved S ranked mission and I couldn’t help laughing at it all. Wendy looked nervous and Erza just smiled, considering it was suggested by Master himself. “Also there is a small request from the palace asking if you three could stop by for a day? Apparently our queen has something she wants to discuss with you.”

“Not my queen,” I heard not only Natsu but Gajeel muttering while Wendy just nodded in agreement.

“Gajeel are you coming too?” I asked confused and he just raised an eyebrow at me before he even started to say anything at all.

“Bunn- Lucy, are you saying that I can’t?” Gajeel tipped his head slightly but I don’t think anyone but the slayers noticed at all.

“If Gajeel is going then Juvia is going!” Juvia jumped in before trying to latch onto Gray. I looked over and see Panther Lily just nodding with a grin.

“Are you saying what I think you’re saying?” Natsu asked, his voice going low as he let his anger and flames leak out.

“Enough!” I wacked him on the back of the head again before turning back to Gajeel. “Thank you for the offer but this mission really doesn’t require that many people. I’m sure you know that?” I watched as he gave me a slow grin and nodded before walking away carrying Juvia with him, picking up Levi on the way. Panther Lily gave me a short nod and I could see him grinning at the whole thing before he flew after them.

“Oh,” Master continued ignoring the whole conversation, or at least he tried to. “And make sure you come back in time for the yearly S class testing. I have a feeling that we have more than one person that is going to get the ranking.” He winked at me before turning around and leaving us with the already stamped approved S class flier.

“Reading this we should all leave as soon as we can. How about first thing in the morning?” Erza suggested and I could feel Natsu and I deflate at having to wait but we both looked at each other before nodding.

“What time?” Natsu asked, laying his head down on the table waiting for the answer.

“Dawn, there should be a train heading to Crocus in the morning. If we miss that train we won’t be able to catch another until noon,” she gave what I remember to be her scary intimidating look but I didn’t even flinch. Huh, I wonder why?

We all heard the tell tale ding dong noise of one of my key’s gate’s opening and looked up to see Virgo standing in front of us. “Goddess, it’s time for training.” She bowed and Natsu, Happy and I stood up and waved at our friends.

“See you in the morning,” I smiled before we walked through the gate and today's training began.

***

We walked out of the doorway and back into the guildhall still stretching from the stiff muscles we earned while training. Even Happy was groaning about how Sagittarius put him through the ringer.

“Only an hour?” Gray teased and to be fair he actually looked confused but not even Natsu answered and instead just rolled his eyes. Poseidon had decided to make it his personal mission to put us through hell.

Natsu in particular.

The training space was filled with water and we had all used transformation magic to turn into merfolk per his instructions. He was very pleased that both Natsu and Happy had already learned to swim manually but that didn’t stop him from making us swim through whirlpools, tsunamis, tidal waves and undercurrents. Did he and Aquarius plan it? I mean the way they tortured us seemed too evil. I don’t think that they cared about our dislike of merfolk too much at all. On the bright side, Happy did gain a lot of underwater fighting experience. I mean we all did but he had managed to miss out up until now.

I reached up and found my hair still wet and we all walked outside before I started ringing the water out again. I feel like my bones are bruised… Maybe crushed. I have no idea how I’m walking at the moment.

“I could sleep for a week,” Happy groaned, making Natsu and I agree. We made our way home and I set an alarm for in the morning and we all passed out.

***

We all woke up in the predawn hours and I made a nice big breakfast while Natsu packed some snacks for the trip. He is nervous, this will be the first time we have gone anywhere with the others and he is fidgeting. It is really cute. I could see him going back and forth between excited about showing off and nervous they would freak out and back again. Very cute.

I gave him a light kiss before handing him a cooking sheet covered in fresh from the oven chocolate, chocolate chunk cookies and he took them with a smile before packing them. We all cleaned up before heading towards the train station to wait. We arrived sleepy and tired but we bought our tickets and took a seat before waiting and I laid my head on Natsu’s shoulder and closed my eyes, his arm around my shoulders before he gave me a quick kiss and I relaxed.

I wish I could say that I fell asleep but I didn’t. It didn’t take but a few seconds for Erza, Wendy and Carla to arrive and only another minute or two before Gray did.

I sat up and stretched for a minute before the train finally arrived and we were able to board. Natsu and I managed to get our own cabin since we got our tickets when we first arrived, where our friends waited thinking that we would all get one together. We had been very careful and bought out the whole cabin so as far as the ticket master and our friends would know our cabin was full.

“That’s too bad. Next time wait for all of us or get all of our tickets and we will pay you back when we arrive.” Erza directed but she didn’t seem mad at all. If anything she seemed relieved that we were taking this seriously.

“Wait, Flamebrain bought his ticket and is calm about riding on a train? Since when?” Gray laughed as if Natsu hadn’t figured out that he was getting on a train yet.

“Well, Icicle Breath, we can’t just carry you all the way to Crocus now can we? I would probably get tired of your screaming and drop you.” Natsu grinned before standing up and holding out his hand to help me up. I smiled at him, letting him bait our friend a little. This is how they are with each other, so I can’t get all that mad and besides. I think it’s cute when Natsu is teasing someone, even though right now it’s not me.