Chapter 1: That Day (Season 1)

Y/N: It just doesn't seem fair... if the book's telling the truth, isn't it kind of greedy for the titans to have all that land for themselves?

Y/N sat at the table with his parents, pensively eating lunch as he pondered the book Armin had showed him yesterday. His mom shrugged as she downed a glass of water.

Y/N's mom: I doubt the titans have really given it any thought. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't hang around the walls so much.

Y/N: Yeah yeah, I know. It's just, if everything in that world is true, well...

Y/N stared at the table, deep in thought.

Y/N: I just wish we could go see it.

His dad looked over at him thoughtfully, drinking from his teacup.

Y/N's dad: You're right, it isn't fair. A life, trapped within these walls; the promise of a world we'll never get to see. (Sipping tea) It's maddening, but that's the world we were born into.

He stood up to wash his dishes.

Y/N's dad: It isn't up to us to decide that though. All we can really do is decide what we want to do with it.

Y/N: Hmm. (A long beat of silence) I think I'm gonna go play outside.

Y/N stood up waving to his parents as he headed for the door.

Y/N's mom: Stay safe! Be sure not to get lost and be sure to be home before sundown!

Y/N: I will!

***

Y/N: You trip or something?

As Y/N approached the trio, he noticed Armin first. He looked like he'd been rolling around in the dirt. It also looked like he'd taken a few hits to the face.

Armin: No, it was those 3 bullies again.

Eren: Yeah. (Proudly) Luckily I managed to scare them off!

Armin/Y/N: You mean Mikasa scared them off?

Eren's face quickly turned to annoyance.

Eren: Shut up! 

Y/N: (Chuckle) Sorry if I interrupted your conversation though. What were you guys talking about?

Armin: Oh, we were just talking about how Eren wants to join the Scouts.

Y/N: Right, the Scouts. (Pensive) You want to join them?

Eren: Yeah. (Looking at Mikasa) Surprised you didn't already know, since someone just can't keep it to herself!

Mikasa: I never promised you anything.

Y/N: (Confused) Something happen?

Armin: Mikasa told Eren's parents about it. His mom didn't want-

Eren: She just doesn't get it!

Y/N: (Shrugs) Well, if you're serious about joining them, she was bound to find out eventually. No point holding it against Mikasa for getting it over with. 

An awkward silence ensued as Y/N looked up at the wall.

Y/N: Why do you want to join them anyways?

Eren: Because... 

Eren piped up as he got a fiery look in his eye.

Eren: ...they're the only ones who fight back against the titans! You heard Armin yesterday, there's a whole big world out there! Fiery lakes, mountains of ice, the sea; the Scouts are the only ones trying to take it all back!