Chapter 3: Day 1 of Boot Camp (Season 1)

Shadis: "Oi! Mop top!"

Armin: "Sir!"

Shadis: "What do they call you, maggot?!"

Armin: "Armin Arlert, sir!"

Shadis: "Seriously? Who cursed you with such a stupid name?"

Armin: "It was my grandfather, sir!"

Y/N stood tense as the drill sergeant yelled at Armin, just a bit down the line from him. 

Y/N (thoughts): Yeah, I guess I shoulda expected something like this. I mean, I get the idea. If we can't handle this, what chance are we gonna stand against the titans?

Shadis: "Cadet Arlert! Why is a runt like you here?!"

Armin (terrified): "To help humanity overcome the titans!"

Shadis: "Delightful! Bet you'll make a good light snack for 'em!"

Shadis palmed Armin's head and turned him about face, before moving on to the next poor cadet he felt like berating. Y/N hesitantly turned his head out of morbid curiosity to see who that was. The answer? A girl with black pigtails who was barely even half the drill sergeant's height.

Mina: "Mina Carolina, sir! From Karaness!"

Shadis: "Is a pathetic worm like you the best that Karaness has to offer?!"

Mina: "Sir! I'm afraid that's the case, sir!"

Y/N (thoughts): Damn, he really is a tall bastard.

Y/N's turned his head back to face front as his thoughts drowned out all the yelling. He'd grown a bit in the past couple of years, but the drill sergeant towered over even the tallest kids there. Standing face to face with him would probably be like staring down a giant. Speaking of which...

Shadis: "And what's your name, maggot?!"

Y/N (distracted): "Huh?"

Y/N slowly zoned back in as he realized the drill sergeant was standing right in front of him. For some reason, he'd completely bypassed Mikasa, Eren, and several others that stood to their left. 

Shadis: "Pay attention, maggot! If you get lost in your thoughts on the battlefield, THEY'LL BE THE LAST THOUGHTS YOU EVER HAVE!"

Y/N (thoughts): Huh, it really is like staring down a giant.

Y/N (swallowing): "Y/N L/N, from Shiganshina, sir!"

Shadis: "Shiganshina, eh? So you were there when it happened?"

Y/N: "That is correct, sir!"

Shadis: "Then why would you ever want to risk having to face the titans ever again?"

Y/N: "Because if I don't face my fears, by my twenties I'll probably be balder than you, sir!"

An awkward silence ensued, save for a few suppressed snickers from the crowd. Y/N felt his heart sink lower and lower. He didn't have the nerve to break eye contact with the drill sergeant, but he could feel several eyes on them right now.

Y/N (nervous): "Uh... hehehe-"

*BAM*

Next thing Y/N knew, he was lying on the ground in fetal position, groaning as pain shot out from his gut. 

Shadis: "THIS IS NO TIME TO BE NAPPING, CADET! ON YOUR FEET!"

Y/N (coughing): "Urgh... okay~"

The drill sergeant moved on as Y/N struggled to his feet.