Chapter 17: It's Crazy How Quickly Things Can Change (Season 2 Finale)

Over 5 years ago...

Y/N: "Mr. Hannes..."

Y/N looked up at the garrison soldier expectantly, though his heart already felt heavy. It had already been weeks since Wall Maria had fallen.

Hannes (forlorn): "Sorry, kiddo. Still haven't heard anything about them."

Y/N (dejected): "Oh...does that mean they're dead?"

Hannes: "Not necessarily. I won't sugarcoat it though, even if they are alive, they're probably far away from where we are. It might be a good idea to just focus on staying alive for now. Take things one day at a time."

Y/N: "You sound like Mikasa."

Hannes: "Heh heh, she's smart for her age, that one. She isn't wrong though. Sometimes, things are out of our control. Not much we can do but focus on the problem in front of us."

Y/N considered it for a moment, repeating it in his head like a mantra.

Y/N (thoughts): Don't focus on what's out of your control. Just focus on the problem in front of you...

Present

Y/N: "Mikasa! Give me your ODM gear!"

Mikasa struggled through the pain, raising her arms so Y/N could try and unbuckle her gear. Panic was taking over though; his hands were so shaky, it was hard to remove it fast enough.

Y/N (thought): Dammit! Why now?! I've been fighting death all day with no problem, so why now?!

He felt his hairs stand on end as a shadow suddenly enveloped them. He turned around to see one of the titan's hands swiping down at them. Before he even had a moment to scream though, a figure shot out from behind them and blocked the titan's hand. Slicing away a thumb and making it stumble back, Hannes cackled like a madman.

Hannes (ecstatic): "Can you believe this luck?! Crazy, right?!" (brandishing his blades) "Hang tight! I'll avenge your mother and get you out of here!"

Without wasting a second, Hannes latched onto the smiling titan and swung up towards it.

Eren: "No! Hannes!"

Y/N (panicked): "He needs backup."

Y/N went back to prying at Mikasa's complex equipment. She screamed out in pain as he tugged at the part of the harness around her ribs.

Y/N: "Shit! Sorry!"

Mikasa (pained): "It's fine. Hurry!"

As Y/N continued to anxiously unclasp the harness, Eren struggled to his feet. His binds had come undone in all the chaos.

Eren (enraged): "This one belongs to me! You two stay here!"

Mikasa: "Eren, wait! We have to get you out of here!"

Eren: "Not until I've settled the score. Stand back!"

Y/N gritted his teeth, glaring over at him.

Y/N: "Eren! You ain't expendable like the rest of us! You can't afford to be reckless! For gods sakes, you aren't even fully healed yet!"

Eren ignored him, biting down on his hand. He recoiled a bit in surprise as nothing happened.

Eren: "What?!"

Y/N: "It's like Reiner said! You don't have enough energy to-"

Eren: "WHY THE HELL SHOULD I BELIEVE ANYTHING THAT TRAITOR SAYS?!"