Chapter 18: Respite (Season 3)

Y/N stood on the beach, aimlessly staring into the distance along with Eren. Neither of them said a word, but he could tell what was on Eren's mind. It was the same question that was on his own.

Armin had always told them there was a sea beyond the walls, and they'd always wondered what lay beyond it. But now...Y/N could only wonder if it was all worth it.

***

Present

Y/N: "Should we tell everyone?"

Mikasa: "Hmm?"

She regarded him curiously as the two walked down one of the hallways of the barracks. 

Y/N: "You know, that we're...a couple?"

Mikasa looked down pensively, her stormy grey eyes seemingly deep in thought. 

Mikasa: "Sure, but maybe we should wait a bit."

Y/N (curious): "Yeah? How come?"

Mikasa: "The general mood has been pretty grim after yesterday's attack. Not to mention, Connie and Krista-"

Y/N: "Historia."

Mikasa: "-right, Historia; they're in particularly bad spirits."

Y/N (sighing): "Yeah. I still can't believe that report from Ragako. It's fucked up."

Mikasa: "Mhm." (a pause) "All that is to say, perhaps we should wait until the timing is better."

Y/N (understanding): "Yeah, no, I get that. So we'll just keep it low key for now?"

Mikasa nodded. Normally Y/N would've felt a bit annoyed about the prospect of trying to keep things under wraps, but he'd been feeling oddly...different ever since he'd woken up. With Mikasa at his side, things in general seemed a lot less discouraging. It was like no matter what happened, it seemed like everything would turn out okay. Mikasa had his back.

Soldier 19: "Y/N L/N!"

Y/N looked up to see a veteran Scout making her way down the hall towards them.

Soldier 19: "Follow me. There's someone in the infirmary that wants to see you."

Y/N nodded, before looking to Mikasa who gave him a confused look.

Y/N (to Mikasa): "Go ahead and get a head start on lunch. I'll meet you there afterwards, yeah?"

Mikasa nodded, continuing down the hallway.

Soldier 19: "Right. Follow me."

***

The infirmary was a depressing sight. Several of the soldiers lying in the beds were horribly injured or mutilated. Y/N tried to keep his eyes from drifting as he followed the soldier to one of the beds in the back, where he was greeted by a familiar face.

Y/N: "S-section commander Miche, sir."

Y/N tensed. Even after the days he'd had, standing in front of humanity's second strongest titan killer was nerve-wracking. It didn't help that the soldier immediately left, leaving the two of them alone.

Miche: "There you are. Y/N L/N, right?"

Y/N: "Y-yes, sir. I was one of the cadets that transferred with you after the 57th expedition."

Miche (amused): "Right. Well, what you did was pretty gutsy, especially for a cadet. Charging headfirst into a horde of titans without ODM gear like that."

Y/N (muttering): "Yeah, wound up doing it again the next day, weirdly enough."

Miche: "Hmm?"

Y/N (straightening up): "N-nothing."