Chapter 8: Massacre (Season 1)

*BOOM*

Y/N staggered back as the Colossal Titan kicked through Trost's outer gate, sending a shockwave blasting throughout the city. Falling on his back, Y/N still could barely move. Everything he'd said about facing his fears felt so empty and meaningless all of a sudden.

Y/N (thoughts): Eren was wrong. It's just like before! What the hell can we even hope to do against-

Y/N snapped to attention, feeling life seep back into him as he was suddenly hoisted to his feet.

Hannes: "Look alive, kid! Operation: Colossal Titan response is in effect! Report to HQ immediately!"

Y/N took a deep breath, gathering himself.

Y/N: "Y-yeah, thanks."

Y/N did as he was told and hurried off towards HQ, alarm bells echoing through the city. He looked back once out of curiosity to see what was going on, but the Colossal Titan had completely vanished.

Y/N (thoughts): Never mind that, focus! You've got this! It'll be different this time. It will. We trained for this. We won't let this city fall like Shiganshina!

***

Elite: "Out of the frying pan and into the fire, cadets! Time to put your training to work!

The air was tense in the supply depot as the cadets and soldiers all rushed to mobilize their ODM gear. Y/N looked up for a moment and saw one of the couples from training comforting each other. Y/N felt a lump in his throat as it suddenly dawned on him: some of these people, the friends he'd made over the last 3 years, might die. Hell, he might even be one of them.

Y/N (thoughts): I should go find Mikasa...

Y/N finished prepping his ODM gear and raced through the depot, looking for the others. 

Eren: "Armin! What's wrong?"

Y/N found Mikasa, who was standing a little away form Eren and Armin, the latter of whom seemed to be too shaky to fit his gear together.

Armin (nervously): "I- d-don't worry, I'm f-fine... just give me a second for my nerves to settle."

Y/N (getting Mikasa's attention): "Hey."

Mikasa: "Hello."

Y/N (nervously): "Listen, if we don't make it through this..."

The words caught in Y/N's throat as he quickly realized how much of a bad idea this was, leaving Mikasa confused as she waited for a followup.

Y/N (thoughts): The hell am I doing?! Now isn't the time for this! We don't need any more distractions at a time like this.

Y/N (shaking his head): "Never mind. We're all making it through this."

Mikasa nodded in response.

Armin (panicking): "This is bad, isn't it?! We have a hole 8 meters wide in the wall, and we don't even remotely have the resources to try and plug it. Unless we seal the breach, the entire city's as good as dead! I mean, think about it! If they feel like it, the titans can wipe out the entire human race in an afternoon-"

Y/N raced over, gently guiding Armin's gaze towards his.

Y/N (calm): "Armin, look at me. The only way we make it through this is by staying calm."

Eren (to Armin): "Listen, you're focused on the past. Look ahead: we're not gonna be the victims anymore."

Y/N (nodding): "Maybe you're right, but we can't afford to worry about the bigger picture right now. We just need to focus on what's in front of us and win this battle, yeah?"