Chapter 14: Another Breach (Season 2)

Mikasa lay awake, stirring as she tried to find a comfortable position. Her stomach was churning, and her heart still felt heavy from the day before. Annie had gotten away. She'd had a chance to stop her, and she'd missed it. They'd successfully driven her out, but it still felt like it was all for nothing.

She felt like she could cry. She considered going to see Eren; maybe he could comfort her a little. But she ultimately decided against it. Even if he was done resting, he probably had a lot to process too. Besides, it had been a long time since she'd ever gone to him for comfort. She'd been so busy protecting him these past 5 years, she'd never actually tried to lean on him like she had after her parents died. 

The feelings of guilt suddenly gave way to a feeling of warmth as she came to a realization. After Wall Maria fell and she was trying to hold things together, she'd been able to lean on Y/N. When Trost was attacked, he was the one she'd gone to to ensure Eren's safety. When Eren had died and she felt like she had nothing to live for, his presence reminded her there were still reasons to keep moving. And when the Scouts had taken Eren away, he was the one who'd come to comfort her.

The feeling of fondness quickly turned back to heartache. It had only been a couple of days, but she desperately missed him, more than she ever had before. She wished he was here. He would probably sit with her for hours, letting her feel less alone. He'd say something sweet, tell her what she needed to hear, then cap it off with some lighthearted joke. But he'd been sent off, for reasons the higher-ups couldn't tell them for some reason. She'd never even had a chance to say goodbye.

Mikasa didn't have much more time to think, startled as her door suddenly burst open.

Armin: "Mikasa! They've broken in!"

Mikasa (confused): "Huh?"

Armin: "Titans were spotted in Wall Rose! Just south of Wall Sina!"

Mikasa's heart sank.

Mikasa (thoughts): But that's where Y/N was assigned!

***

12 hours earlier

Y/N (sighing): "It's always stable duty, isn't it."

He wiped his brow as he and Ymir continued to sweep the outpost's stables.

Ymir (teasing): "Yeah, bet you're not enjoying this as much as your last time in the stables, huh?"

Y/N (smirking): "Considering last time was right before the Colossal Titan busted down the gates of Trost, I think this one gets the edge."

Ymir (amused): "Huh. Time before that, then."

Y/N: "Yeah, wonder how they're doing up in Wall Sina. Much as I hate chores, it's gotta be better than dealing with the government."

Ymir: "You can say that again."

They both leaned back against the stables, taking drinks from their waterskins. Y/N noticed Krista scrambling around with a couple buckets, presumably helping to restock their water supply.

Y/N (confused): "Thought today was her day off."

Ymir: "Yeah, she didn't get assigned any chores today. And yet there she is."

Y/N (fondly): "Yeah, that's Krista...always trying to help out."

Ymir: "Always too goody-goody for her own good."

Y/N looked over, trying to read Ymir's expression as she gazed out at the blonde girl. She looked mildly irritated, but it wasn't the same uncaring look that she usually gave people when criticizing them. There was something else there. It almost seemed like there was a bit of fondness behind her harsh expression.