Chapter 15: Out of the Frying Pan (Season 2)

Flashback

Y/N: "Alright big guy, my turn with the knife."

It was another day of hand-to-hand combat training. As Bertholdt assumed a fighting stance, Y/N fiddled with the knife and tried to figure out a good angle to attack from. The other boy was almost half a foot taller than him, and he had a massive reach advantage over him, so there weren't many good angles to attack from. 

Y/N (thoughts): Still, he's a bit on the timid side, I've noticed. Maybe I can psyche him out.

As Y/N charged at him, he shifted his weight to the right, telegraphing a turn and strike from the side. Bertholdt seemed to shift his stance ever so slightly in that direction. Perfect. Y/N sprung off his bent knee, shifting his weight back to Bertholdt's center and thrusting right for his chest.

Somehow though, whether Bertholdt had seen through his plan or he just had lightning quick reflexes, he sidestepped Y/N's strike, placing one hand on the back of his wrist and the other on the scruff of his neck before using his forward momentum to take him down. Y/N grunted, landing right on his stomach.

Bertholdt: "Oh, s-sorry. My bad."

Y/N: (rolls over) "Nah, it's cool." (struggles to his feet) "You're pretty good. Where'd you learn how to fight like that?"

Bertholdt: (looks down) "My hometown. Even before...well before it happened, Reiner and I both did a lot of training."

Y/N: "Makes sense. You two really do seem to have a knack for this stuff." (a beat) "Think you could teach me a thing or two?"

Bertholdt (shy): "H-huh? Oh, I...I think Reiner might make a better teacher to be honest."

Y/N: "Aww, c'mon. Have a little faith in yourself." (looks out at Reiner) "Don't get me wrong, Reiner's a reliable guy, and he's taught me a lot of tricks when it comes to ODM and other stuff. But when it comes to fighting, well, I dunno if he'd be the best teacher for me."

Bertholdt: "How come?"

Y/N: "He's a really big guy. From what I can tell, a lot of his fighting style seems to lend itself to his direct strength advantage. I don't really have that though." (looks back at Bertholdt) "Whereas you, sure, you've got a height advantage on me, but you seem to use a lot more technique. Mind teaching me a few tips."

Bertholdt: "Oh, okay then."

The tall boy still looked a little uncertain, but he had a small smile on his face. He assumed a defensive position, as Y/N picked the knife back up.

Present

Y/N panted as he struggled up the steps, carrying Miche on his back. If his hunch was correct, and the castle was under siege by titans, then leaving him on the ground floor would likely be a death sentence.

Sure enough, as they reached the roof of the tower, there were several titans bearing down on them. Y/N gritted his teeth. It didn't make sense. Titans weren't supposed to move around at night. Then again though, there was a lot about the titans that didn't make sense to begin with.

Gelgar: "How can they move?! This shouldn't be happening! The sun went down hours ago!"

Krista (scared): "What's going on?"

Connie (terrified): "Hey, guys, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!"

As Y/N turned his gaze over to where Connie was pointing, his head began to feel a little light. Lumbering off in the distance was the same beastial monster he'd seen earlier.