Chapter 7: The End of Training (Season 1)

Y/N: "Ya know what I'm never gonna miss when training's over? Shit like this."

Y/N set his broom against the wall and let out a yawn. He and Mikasa had been assigned stable duty for their day off, go figure, so Y/N opted to put it off until the last possible moment. By now, the sun had already gone down a while ago, and Y/N's eyelids felt heavy.

Mikasa (setting her broom aside): "You never know. When we join the Survey Corps, we may have to tend to horses a lot."

Y/N: "Lovely."

Y/N stretched his arms, heading over to one of the cleaner parts of the stable and sitting down, leaning back against some of the hay. As usual, it was a lot more itchy than he expected, but he was too tired to care.

Mikasa: "Shouldn't we head back?"

Y/N (rubbing his eyes): "You can if you want to. But you saw how Eren and Jean were bickering earlier, so... I just don't have it in me to head back to the cabin just yet."

Mikasa nodded in understanding, opting to walk over and sit down right next to him.

Mikasa: "Well, let's not stay for too long. Staying out past curfew won't win you any points with the commandant."

Y/N (shrugs): "Eh, training ends in a couple of days anyway. The higher ups have prolly already made their decisions." 

Y/N rested his head on Mikasa's shoulder.

Y/N: "Besides, it's not like I'm aiming for the MPs anyway. Wouldn't dream of joining a regiment without you."

Y/N meant "you" as in her, Armin and Eren, but as soon as he said it he realized how it probably came off. Deciding to play it cool, he struggled to resist the urge to look and see Mikasa's reaction.

Mikasa: "Y/N... there's something I want to show you."

That woke him up. Y/N raised his head from her shoulder, looking over and giving her an easygoing smile.

Y/N: "Yeah? What's up?"

Mikasa didn't meet his eyes. Instead, she looked down and began to roll up her sleeve, revealing that bandage she always wore on her wrist.

Y/N (thoughts): Oh yeah, I'd kinda forgotten about that. Guess I just got used to seeing it during our workouts and stopped questioning it.

Mikasa slowly unwrapped the bandage, revealing a tattoo of some sort. Y/N didn't recognize the symbol. It looked like 3 swords forming a triangle, with a circle around them.

Y/N (curious): "A tattoo?"

Mikasa: "You asked about it, once. I... my mom gave it to me, before- before she-"

Y/N got a lump in his throat. Mikasa's voice wasn't quite breaking, but he could tell there was a lot of emotion she was trying to hold in. He scooted a little closer, wrapping his arm around her and gently pulling her into a hug.

Y/N (comforting): "Shh, it's okay... it's okay..." (a beat) "Thanks for showing me."

Mikasa (still resting her head against him): "She... she gave it to me on the day it happened. It was the last thing-"

Y/N: "I'm sorry, Mikasa."

Mikasa remained silent for a bit, not crying but basking in the comfort Y/N was giving her right now. 

Mikasa: "My mom told me not to show it to anyone... so, don't tell anyone about it."

Y/N (smiling): "My lips are sealed."