Chapter 5: Capture the Flag (Season 1)

Shadis: "Alright maggots, listen up! For today's training, I'll be splitting you all into squadrons of 8. 2 squadrons will enter the forest at a time and be assigned to one of the 2 flags that I've placed on opposite sides of the forest. Each squadron's objective will be to steal the opposing squadron's flag and bring it to their side of the forest!"

Connie: "Oh, so Capture the Flag."

Marco: "Essentially."

Y/N pondered the exercise that Shadis was describing. It seemed interesting enough. Depending on who he got saddled with, it seemed like a good exercise both in strategy and in knowing their fellow cadets.

Shadis: "This is meant to be an exercise in proper ODM control. No matter which regiment you join, these skills will come in handy. But for those of you aiming to join the military police, this will also serve as practice against smaller, quicker targets -- might serve you well if you have to deal with criminals using smuggled gear. So if any members of the opposing squadron enter your side of the forest, feel free to engage them in CQC and take them captive."

Y/N (thoughts): Well, shit. Can't say I like my chances against some of the people here in CQC, let alone ODM CQC. Guess I just gotta hope I get put on a good team.

Y/N looked over at Mikasa. He felt his breathing stiffen as he stood in anticipation, hoping they'd be on the same team.

Shadis: "NOW PAY ATTENTION! The members of squadron one will be: Marco Bodt, Thomas Wagner, Eren Jaeger, Mikasa Ackerman, Armin Arlert, Samuel Linke-Jackson, Annie Leonhart, and Mina Carolina!"

Y/N felt his blood run cold. The cadets whose names were called all shuffled to stand in one group.

Shadis: "As for squadron two: Reiner Braun, Bertholdt Hoover, Y/N L/N, Jean Kirstein, Connie Springer, Sasha Braus, Ymir, and Krista Lenz."

Y/N looked around at his teammates as they all shuffled together. Having Reiner and Bertholdt on his team eased his anxiety a bit, though he was still worried about the possibility of going toe to toe with Mikasa.

Shadis: "Now, all of you, head to the forest! I'll fire off an acoustic round in 15, signaling the start of the exercise! MOVE IT CADETS!"

Y/N and Eren made their way towards each other as they ran for the forest.

Eren: "Looks like we're on opposite teams."

Y/N (nodding): "Yeah. But hey, what's a little friendly competition?"

Eren grinned.

Eren: "Good luck out there! You're gonna need it!"

Y/N: "Right back at ya! May the best soldier win!"

***

As Y/N thought about it more, it didn't seem so bad. Reiner and Bertholdt aside, Sasha and Jean had both proven to be remarkably talented in the past few weeks. Connie and Krista also stood out compared to most of the other cadets, and Ymir's instincts and intuition always caught Y/N off guard. 

Jean: "Alright team, let's strategize."

The group looked down to see that Jean had drawn a rough map of the forest on the ground with a stick.

Jean: "Alright, the real heart of the game comes down to knowing who we're up against. If we can predict what the other team is gonna do, we can plan around it and snatch victory when they least expect it."