Chapter Two

It's Monday and I'm on my way to school. The only thing that I've been thinking about is my dream and what mom had told me about the break in at the hospital. How is Kasandra just going to disappear, and how was there nobody on the security tapes, but the biggest question is, where is Kasandra now? I've been asking myself that question for the past two days. I reach into my pocket and pull out the necklace with the letter K on it, suddenly I hear a girl whisper my name.

"Ryan." I quickly look up and around but there is nobody there.

"Over here you door knob." The girl whispers with a laugh. I look to my left and across the street I see a girl standing next to a tree with a bald black man in a black suit. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was Kasandra! I quickly look for cars and then run across the street, but once I get to her she is gone, but the man is still there.

"Where is she?" I ask, confused.

"You will see her soon enough." He says, his voice fairly deep, "She sent me to come get you, but in order to find her you must prove yourself worthy."

"How? Worthy for what?" I ask.

"You must be willing to leave this life and enter a new one. The one your sister is living in, with many others as well. If you accept I will be your guardian... your trainer... your mentor." He says.

"Train me for what?" I ask.

"Magic." He says with a smile as he snaps his fingers, creating a single flame that floats an inch above his hand.

"How did you do that?" I ask with amazement.

"Like I said, magic." He replies.

"That's impossible. If real magic was that easy everybody would know about it." I argue. After a moment of silence he replies.

"The human mind can not see what it can not comprehend." He says.

"Are y.... are you saying... I'm not human?" I ask.

"Perhaps, but it's a life of magic, excitement, adventure, and most of all... danger. On the other hand, if you chose to continue your normal life you will never discover your true abilities." The man explains.

"I can't just leave my mother." I say. "She would be devastated to find out that I'm missing."

"Let me warn you that this chance will never be offered to you again if you refuse. Right here, right now, yes or no? I know you will miss your mother, and I know this is a lot to take in right now but this just may be your destiny." He says as he holds out his hand. My mind is suddenly cluttered, I don't know what to think. I want to meet the sister I never had. If I choose my mother I will lose my sister, and if I choose my sister I will lose my mother... but they're both family. Maybe I can still see my mother later on.

"How can you just ask me something like this out of nowhere?" I ask.

"I know... it's very difficult, but you must decide. I know you want more out of life than this... the same boring thing everybody goes through." He says.

"You don't know me." I reply, but its true. I do want more.

"Ok, but can I at least get some stuff from my house? My mother isn't there, she is at work." I say, but really she is there. He shakes his head.

"I'm afraid the only things you are allowed to take with you from your old life are the clothes that you are wearing." He says. I drop my backpack, and reach for his hand but before I can he pulls his hand back.

"Your pockets?" He asks.

"Nothing." I lie through the pressure. He takes my hand and all of a sudden I black out.