Chapter Twelve

Miranda leads Dante and I back through the path we snuck out of and back to the marketplace. We ended up with three of those rabbit like creature, two odd squirrels, and a bird that has fur instead of feathers.

“Nice work.” She says as she sets the sack of animals on the counter of a salesman’s kiosk. The alien opens the sack and looks inside, then he goes underneath the counter and takes out a sack of money as big as my hand. Miranda looks at the money inside of it, counting it, checking the value of each coin. Miranda gives the man thumbs up, letting him know the deals is good.

            “Here.” She says, handing me some money for the work I did.

“No. That’s ok, keep it.” I refuse. “I won’t be here for long anyway.” She looks at me.

“Thanks.” She says. “Do you have a place to stay?” she asks.

“Yeah, why?” I ask.

“You seem… interesting.” She replies with a pause, and then walks away, disappearing into the crowd of customers at the marketplace. Suddenly as I am about to turn my attention away from the crowd I can see one of the aliens that escorted me to the temple approaching me through the crowd. I spotted him right away because he’s almost a foot taller than anybody.

“What now?” I ask as I cross my arms, preparing for something bad. He hands me a dagger nearly a foot long, and very light as well but also very strong material.

“Training.” He says. “Just you, not that little rat.” He insults Dante. Dante puffs out smoke and stand up straight on my shoulder and spreads his wings, ready to attack. The alien cracks his knuckles.

“He comes with or I don’t go, and I sure bet I can take a whole lot of you freaks down with me.” I say, starting to get angry and threatening. It usually takes a lot to make me angry but these aliens don’t seem like a friendly type, so it looks like I have to stand my ground. He stares at me with frustration.

“Fine.” He growls and leads me back the way he came. At this point many people in the crowd saw what happened and were looking at me in silence. As the alien walked through the crowd people were parting to make a path for us. I look at Dante and he retracts his wings back into his back to create a smooth surface again, and rested his elbow on my shaggy hair. I don’t mind because I can barely feel it.

            After all I’ve been through I can finally say that Dante and I are beginning to form a strong relationship. A friend that’s got another friends back… no matter what. I don’t think of him as my pet, and I think he knows that. I’ve known him for nearly months… or at least I think it’s been months.

            We cross over the temple that divides the wealth from the poor and we take a left, back into the jungle.

“Where are we going?” I ask.

“There have been demons from Lord Karda’s army scouting the jungle lately. Your training will be to take them out. There should be only a few.” He explains.

“How did they ever find this place anyway?” I ask.

“Karda is capable of making portals as well. He just throws his little minions in as Guiney pigs.” He says.

            “There.” The alien says as he points to a demon scout with a couple others. I crouch next to a thick tree just before the clearing that the scouts are walking through. They all have suits of golden armor, helmets, chest plates, even armor on their legs and forearms. One is equipped with a spear, one with a sword and the last with a bow.