chapter nine

Mentioning of death and suicide

miami, florida
tuesday, august 2nd
1:37 p.m.

——y/n's pov——

This is the first day I've skipped class.

Not unintentionally though.

The curtains in my room remain closed, shielding out any and every bit of sunlight. All lights are off and it's pure silence. Only the rustling of me in my sheets are the only sound.

I turn over to glance at the time on my phone. 1:37 p.m. I'm not surprised. I've been sleeping pretty much all day. Not one sip of coffee. My phone is bombarded with messages. Mika, Sasha, and Annie are asking how I am and if I need anything. They know.

The very first text is from an hour ago. I know exactly who it is because of the simple letter "e." Eren. He's telling me hey and asking how class is going. I wouldn't know.

Pulling the sheets over my head, I breathe in heavily and feel my eyes well up with tears. Today is the reason I left. The reason that made me question everything at the time. The anniversary.

The anniversary of a death.

Stinging in my eyes makes me let tears flow down my face. The sheets get damp and my cries don't even come out. They're silent cries that can't come out from all of the previous crying. With a sore throat, I try to remain silent and cover a hand over my mouth. Sobs come out stifled and muffled. My chest rises up and down quickly with my irregular breathing.

Two years ago. Two fucking years. It felt so recent at the same time. The first year after was the hardest. I couldn't eat, sleep, or talk. And part of it was my fault. MY FAULT.

I was eighteen when I first graduated high-school. At the time, I was just friends with Mika, Sasha, Porco, and him.

Reiner.

Porco left to help his parents out at the shop to start earning money. We didn't care about money at the time. Me and Mikasa came from well-funded parents so we were pretty much set for college—if we decided to go—but it wasn't the same for our other friends.

Reiner and Sasha came from lower-class families who couldn't spend any money to get them to college. Sasha wasn't too worried because she just said she would take out loans and pay them off later. But not Reiner.

He worried and worried about how to pay for everything. It was like he never stopped thinking about it. Sometimes, he even thought about not going. We offered to pay for his funding, but he wouldn't let us. Telling us over and over about how it was his problem so he should solve it.

We didn't go to college right away. We all spent our days out at the beach or road-tripping. Reiner hardly every came. He started working three jobs at once. Each with shit pay. All to pay for a degree he might not even use.