chapter twenty-nine

miami, floridatuesday, november 22nd7:55 p

miami, florida
tuesday, november 22nd
7:55 p.m.

                    mention of physical abuse

                            ——y/n's pov——

Dear Eren,

Eren, I'm sorry. For everything.

You and your mother never deserved any of things I put you through. You were never the one in the wrong. I was. I need you to forgive me. Please. As I sit in this jail cell, I finally came to the realization that this is my life. I get out soon, so I'll finally be able to see you. I don't think you'll want to see me though. If you want me to stay away, I will. But please forgive me. I am your father. No matter how many times I hit or damaged you, I am still your parent. People change. I've changed. I'm asking you to give me one chance at redemption. I want my son back. I hope you're happy and following your heart, son. I'm so sorry. So sorry. I'd do anything to get your trust back. Anything. I'd do anything for you son.

From Dad

Tears break through and fall onto the floor. I cover my mouth so Eren doesn't hear me in the next room. My heart actually hurts. And I'm pissed. Pissed for Eren. How dare his father try to get back into his life after doing that to him. Hurting him! Fucking hurting him and his mother. My heart breaks in half. Actually. It feels like someone ripped my heart out.

My boyfriend was abused and he never told me.

My boyfriend didn't trust me enough to tell me. That's his business, but would he have ever told me? He's told me nothing about his life and I find out by finding letters in his closet. The box is huge and filled with more crumpled papers and some are ripped up. How long has his father been sending him messages?

I pull out another one and read it. I find myself reading more and more. I'm thankful Eren usually takes long showers because I wouldn't be able to justify myself if he caught me.

Each one makes my heart ache even more. And I find out more and more with each letter. Eren grew up in Georgia and was abused all of his fucking life until he was fourteen. That's not even ten years ago.

He has a half brother who lives with his mother. Eren's mother was young when she had him and his father was too. Reading these memories of his father just crush me even more. I read about the time Eren rode his bike for the first time without training wheels, how Eren and his mother had such a close relationship when he was growing up.

I sift through more and more in a matter of seconds until I hit something hard. Oh no, is his father sending him gifts now?

But it's not a gift.

Or at least I don't think it is.

My heart pounds in my ears and completely shuts out any other noise when I pull it out. Tears shoot down my face and get it wet. My mouth falls open and I silently sob right there.