33

I had to think hard to remember the last time I went to a mall. Being an introvert, I regularly online shop for something I wanted but today was different. Elle had requested for me to pick up a dress that she would be wearing to her birthday party because apparently, she claimed she was too engaged in planning for the event.

Although I disliked being in a crowded place, the guilt in me had made me agree to her wish. I knew it was not going to make up for all the lying and sneaking around with her boyfriend. Still, it was the least I could do for her.

Lucky I got Ethan with me and I meant to take advantage of his presence. He could act as my human shield in social situations as he always did. It was one thing to convince him to leave his group of friends at Steve's. It was quite another thing to convince him and Steve, though I would be totally down for a hang-out next time.

*

"Where do you two think you're going?" Steve asked in a stern voice when Ethan and I got up from the couch. "I already ordered us some more pizza."

Steve had an impatient look on his face while he waited for which one of us would speak first. I offered him a big toothy smile then glanced over at Ethan signaling for help only for him to smirk and look away.

Kaden and Kaleb, who were previously watching the football highlights playing on the tv screen, had their heads turned in our direction. I could feel the heat of their stare from where I was standing. They always did that whenever I intended to leave their meeting place with Ethan.

"We're going to the mall," I announced to which Kaden perked up.

A wide grin found its way upon his face as he gazed around. "Man, I haven't been inside a mall since forever."

"It's just going to be me and Ethan," I said and his smile turned upside down.

"Is my house that boring?" Steve asked again.

I snorted at his quick assumption. "Steve, of course, not. We have to... actually I have to fetch something for Elle."

Steve pressed his lips together at my answer and didn't say anything. Still, there was a look of letdown in his eyes. I felt guilty for taking Ethan away from all of them.

And then I heard Kaleb from across the couch go, "Basically becoming her bitch."

My hands reflectively moved to grab Ethan's arm just as he was about to charge against his friend and it literally took every ounce of my strength to hold him back.

"Ethan, chill!" I yelped.

"Yo Kaleb, you gotta be fucking careful with what you say next," Ethan spoke to him through gritted teeth.

Kaleb got up and walked over to Ethan until he stood at eye level with him, staring up with an amused, yet challenging look on his features. Meanwhile, Ethan squared his jaw and puffed his chest out.

He refused to show any hesitation. All he did was match Kaleb's behavior. Kaleb flicked a glance at me, then, scowling, looked back at Ethan, who never turned to look at me.

"That's very shitty of me to say. Sorry, man," Kaleb said then, his lips forming a slight evil smirk.

His forced apology earned him no response from Ethan and for that reason he turned to Steve. "Well, I guess I gotta go too. I'm meeting a friend."