9

I felt like the new kid, a mid-year transfer when I stood awkwardly in the middle of the cafeteria with my lunch tray. A misfit who no one cared enough to make eye contact with.

I wouldn't lie. It was hard to accept the reality that I couldn't hang around Ethan anymore — the last thing I would've wished for. Funny, I thought he would have noticed me being distant but it seemed like he cared about his little cliques more than me.

Briskly walking, I searched around to see if perhaps there would be a suitable place to sit only to be met with Ethan's green orbs already on me. My name was called loudly by him with a wave in my direction.

A brief rush of excitement ran through my whole body when he asked me to join him at his table, yet the feeling completely dissipated the minute I perceived Kaleb beside him.

His face was full of fury like he had a murder on the brain. It caused me to deter my attention away and I scrambled to a table across where another person I relied on was sitting.

Elle was surprised to see me slumping into a chair next to her. "Well grab my ears and fuck me in the butt. Why aren't you eating with them?"

I just shrugged, avoiding her curious eyes.

"Hey Andrew," her friend, Charlie greeted happily. He's a perfect blueprint of a tall, blonde hair, blue eyes guy.

"Hi," I answered back full of delight. That's my normal reaction when someone wanted to make friends with me.

"You look good today," Charlie said through a cute smile. "Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean you looked ugly yesterday. You were always handsome but today was better."

"Thanks. You too, Char." Goddammit, I could sense myself redden because of his praise. I looked over at Elle and she only put on a knowing smile.

"Really?" I muttered with a glare.

Stifling a laugh, she leaned into me. "Everything okay?"

I looked down at the tomato-soup-filled bowl on the tray and dunked a piece of grilled cheese sandwich in it before taking my first bite.

I quickly nodded. "Why do you ask?" I questioned her back with mouth full of food.

"Adorable." I caught Charlie murmured that word to himself and I sent him a side-eye. He grinned innocently just as that.

"You had a fight with Ethan?" Elle asked out of suspicion.

Before I was able to open my mouth, the two of us were taken aback when Ethan slipped into a chair at our table. "No, he didn't. Where did you hear that, babe?" Ethan answered for me.

"Just wondering," Elle said then giving him a quick peck on the lips. "It's strange to see him eating here, not with you and your dick friends."

I didn't understand why watching them kissing just now got me feeling some type of grossed out. Possibly because their mouths would have tasted like tomato soup.

"He wants to check in with you," Ethan reasoned and she nodded her head, finally convinced.

Why was he acting like he should speak on my behalf?

"Andrew, would you mind finishing my green beans? I don't like the taste of them. They're still untouched don't worry." Charlie tore me from my thoughts.

"Well, sure why —"

"Andy hates green beans," Ethan cut me off, directly staring at Charlie in the eye.  "Why don't you give your leftover to someone else?"

What the hell was wrong with him today?

His harsh tone made Charlie shut himself up. I felt nothing but sorry for him because he stayed quiet looking down chewing his lunch after. Ethan's attitude was too much even Elle appeared to be confused with him.

"Thanks for the concern," I quipped.

Annoyed by his behavior I got up and left.