4

"Guys, if crabs think fishes fly, does that make them sea birds?" Kaden, one of Ethan's friend spoke as he sprawled out comfortably on the couch, hands crossed behind his head.

I looked at him like anyone would if they heard such random bullshit come out of a person's mouth and flopped into a separate couch beside Ethan, placing a bowl of chips on my lap. Before I could even blink, he'd dipped his hand into it, taken a fistful of chips and stuffed into his mouth.

My jaw hung open while he, without any guilt, chewed and swallowed half amount of the only snack left in the house. Giving out a throaty groan, my eyes went to Steve who was currently sucking real bad at Call of Duty.

"Kade, how high are you right now?" Steve made a remark, sitting on the carpet floor while keeping his eyes trained to the TV screen, his fingers fiddling with the controller in his hands.

Kaden's attention strayed to him. "Do I look high to you, man?" he inquired to which Steve paused his game and took a long glance at him.

"I'm just saying, man, because your eyes look red and droopy," he told him and resumed the game he had been losing for almost an hour now.

"Fuck you, Steve!" Kaden hurled a cushion at him and turned his face to us. "Ethan, I don't look high, do I?"

I looked at Ethan briefly to ensure he heard him. Instead, he was on his phone texting who I assumed to be his girlfriend.

Eventually, he set his phone down on the cluttered coffee table amid the soda bottles, snack wrappers, and pizza boxes. "No, you're not but, I know you've been crying over a girl who didn't notice you."

"Dude, shut up. Lana did notice me but whatever." Kaden's voice had a subtle annoyed grumble to it.

"Wait, Lana Lewis? Isn't she with the guy on the lacrosse team?" I interrupted, finally having a will to join in the chat.

"Yeah," Kaden replied through a smile as if what I just revealed to him was meaningless.

"Um, did you hear what I said?" I inquired him.

He nodded, the smile remained on his face. "I know, okay? And it doesn't matter because we flirt with each other all the time and guess what? Me and her are going out tonight. Looks like your boy, Kaden is finally going to tap that ginger ass."

"That's so low and pathetic," I called him out which caused the gaily smile to melt off his face.

Kaden shot a lethal look at me yet it only lasted for a second as his irritated face softened when Ethan draped his protective arm around me and glared at him with a furrowed brow. Knowing Kaden wouldn't dare to act on his anger towards me in the presence of Ethan, I decided to give him a piece of my mind.

"How can you go after a girl knowing she's with someone? I think you're starting to make yourself a bit of a douche and desperate. Just saying," I told him as gasps of surprise came from Ethan and Steve.

"You just got told, man." Steve chuckled quietly.

"I have to agree with him, Kade. Plus, Lana's not the only one around. There's plenty of other single girls at school," Ethan added.

"Don't you guys get it? When a girl is single you have to compete with the world, but, when she's taken you only have her boyfriend to compete with," Kaden countered back.

"That's... actually kinda smart," Ethan said earning a pinch on the side of his chest from me.

"Ow! That hurt!" He jerked away, the shock was palpable on his face. "Did I say something wrong?"

"I can't believe you approve Kaden's homewrecking act. I'm going to tell Elle," I whispered-yelled at him then popping a chip into my mouth.

The mere mention of Elle's name seemed to spook him. "Hold on, snitch. I thought you're Team Ethan?"

"Not anymore. You lose my support when you favor infidelity." I lowered my voice, still sounding serious.

"You actually believe I'm being serious?" Ethan replied, a chuckle shaking his body.

"I had no idea what you think, Ethan but what I know is the bar has been set so low for boys like us when it comes to decent behavior and moral sensibilities. I can't be a part of this gender stereotyping and as your friend, I don't want you to end up like those d-bags," I explained to him with the last part eyeing Kaden.

"Wow, I'm speechless, Andy." He reached to put his arm over me again except this time he lay his head on my left shoulder too. "I guess I should say I'm sorry?"

You know that feeling you get in your chest where it feels like your heart is expanding to no end and then you subconsciously hold your breath in because you're completely overwhelmed and don't know how to react? That's what I'm feeling right now.

I would be lying if I said I didn't relish the friendly physical touch, his brow-raising jokes, and his body heat against me which I think my body weirdly accepted. Anyway, Ethan seemed to not mind when I reciprocated his doings. He probably liked them as much as I enjoyed his.

"Alright, guys listen." Kaden sat up and intently looking down into his phone.

He began again. "So, my sister baked this delicious chocolate cake for my brother's birthday today, and the fun part is she just texted me saying she laced the cake with his weed."

Steve cracked up laughing. "Doesn't that just prove you're now high, dumbass?"

"No shit, really?" Kaden muttered before he buried his face into the couch, groaning. "My parents are going to kill me. Oh wait, they should be high too."

"Speaking of sister, is your sister still available, Andrew?" Steve's random question about Olivia made me cringe, my eyelid basically twitching.

I was about to answer back, but Ethan beat me to it. "You don't want to date her. She's a female Kaden. No offense, Andy."

"None taken," I responded.

Kaden peeked up at us. "What about me? I'm sort of hurt by the statement." We simply left his complaint hanging.

At one point, Ethan raised his head up and beamed at me. I flashed him my eyebrows signaling him to clarify his sudden joy.

"You smell great," he told me.

My heart warmed and I allowed a bright smile onto my lips. "Thank you. I used my sister's shampoo and body wash."

"Come here." He brought his face near my temple and started to sniff my hair. The feeling of his nose tip brushing behind my ear tickled me and I pushed him away with a boisterous laugh.

"Stop, Ethan! You're going to make me spill all the chips," I pleaded as he tried to repeat his act while I held the bowl up high to make sure it did not tip.

"You guys are getting way too much comfortable with each other." I heard Kaden mumbled his disapproval causing Ethan to break off from what he was doing.

Later, he leaned back on the couch, arms spread on the back before he started to speak. "I'll let you into a secret, Kaden, no one cares what you think."

I smirked proudly at Ethan's comeback. "You're just jealous we didn't get all physical with you cause you stink," I finished.

Kaden grunted irritably. "I don't stink nor do I sweat a lot and for your fucking information, my odor is an enigma."

"A moment of silence for Kaden who's never experienced bromance. Even I do that shit with my older brother," Steve joined in.

Though I believe he had no clue what was going on behind him. He's just too focused to turn around.

"Oh really? Where is he now? In Alabama with your creepy uncle?" Kaden mocked him back, rolling his red eyes.

In a flash, Steve's head swiveled at Kaden's direction. "I swear I'm going to backhand you like my mom does, Kade."

The sound of the main door being closed accompanied by the noise of incoming footsteps following after traveling to our ears. A tall, lean guy with a strong, threatening aura walked into the living room, a cold crooked grin split his face.

It was Kaleb.

"Now, which one of you pussies prank texted me telling we're going to meet at the cemetery?" he began and I swear I could hear Ethan snicker beside me.