Chapter 32

We stayed in that position for a couple minutes, simply breathing in each other's scents, before I reluctantly pulled away. A deep growl of protest emanated from Damien's chest, causing me to roll my eyes. "I need to go check with Nate to see if he learned anything from his packmate." His grip on my arm tightened slightly as he tried to pull me back into him, but I put my hands on his chest to prevent the movement. "This is serious, he may have found something out that's important." Damien held my gaze for a few seconds before letting me go and taking a small step back.

"I don't like him" he said, his eyes narrow as he glared at the door behind me. "Nate is my friend Damien. Just a friend. If you really want to work on our relationship, trusting me would be a great start. Yes, you are my mate, but that doesn't mean im forbidden from having other male friends." I gave him a stern look, making sure he knows im serious. While his brows remained furrowed in a frown, I could see acceptance seep into his eyes. Damien moved towards the door and held it open for me, extending his hand out for me to grab. "Come on, let's go see what he has found out". I opened my mouth to argue but shut it a second later and instead reached for his hand, allowing him to thread our fingers together. With a satisfied look, he tugged me out the door.

Nate stood from the small couch placed outside the office when he saw us approach. I saw his eyes flicker down to our conjoined hands before moving them back up to meet my eye, his brow raising in a question. "Don't ask" I linked him, my eyes pleading as I silently begged him not to say anything.

"So, did you learn anything form your friend?" I asked, getting back to the matter at hand. "Actually, I did" Nate said with an excited look on his face. "I had to call to make sure, but one of my buddies back home is actually mated to a witch! I explained to her the situation, and she confirmed that it actually is possible for her to locate the witch that created the spell to hide the rouges scent. Apparently, every spell leaves behind an essence of sorts that's traceable, so I spoke to Alpha John, and he agreed that he would have her escorted here so she could help." Damien nodded his head and let out a grunt of approval. "Good, I'll make sure border patrol is aware of her arrival." I watched as his eyes glossed over while he linked patrol before returning to normal a couple seconds later. "You're dismissed for now and we'll reconvene when the witch arrives."

"Yes Alpha" Nate replied before looking over at me. "Come on Mari, let's go see what Charlie and Lexie are up to." I felt Damien stiffen next to me, his wolf growling at the mention of Nate's nickname for me. "Actually," Damien ground out, "I was hoping that my mate would join me for the afternoon" he finished, his gaze softening when he glanced over at me. Being honest, I had planned to leave with Nate but with the slight progress Damien and I made just a moment ago, my wolf was urging me to accept Damien's request. I looked over at Nate and gave him an apologetic shrug. "Sorry Nate, ill try to catch up with you later today." He looked slightly rejected, but with one more growl directed at him from Damien, he sighed and headed back towards the main room.

"So" I started, looking down at my feet, "what did you want to do." Damien let out a chuckle and my head snapped up to his to see a beautiful smile on his face. I had to restrain myself from letting my jaw drop open. I don't think I've ever seen this expression on his face before. For the first time, all anger and tension were drained from his face and instead was replaced with a relaxed, happy smile. My heart fluttered in my chest as I examined his features, a smile pulling at the corner of my mouth. "I have been a terrible mate to you from the beginning, and as much as I would like to start over, I know I can't. So instead im going to try my best to show you that I want to be different. I was thinking we could go on a walk together. We'll have to stay close to the pack house, but there's a small path out back that I think you'll like." I stopped fighting it and gave him a huge smile. "That sounds wonderful."

Damien released my hand and instead cupped the back of my head, leaning down to press a soft kiss to the crown of my head. "Thank you," he whispered into my hair. When he pulled back, I reached for his hand and once again entertained our fingers. I tugged on his hand excitedly and pulled him towards the kitchen where I knew a door to the backyard was. By now, more pack members had wandered their way downstairs, all of them immediately smiling when they saw me pulling Damien by the hand behind me. I could see the surprised looks on some of their faces at the sight of the smile still plastered on Damien's face, but they recovered quickly while some called out greetings to us. Charlie and Mazie were in the kitchen chatting with Meredith when we entered, Mazie almost falling out of her chair when turned her attention to us. Unlike me, she didn't try to hide her surprise as her jaw dropped open. I ignored them both, continuing my way to the door before throwing it open and pulling us both through, the sound of Meredith's loud laughter making its way to my ears before I shut the door. 

Hey guys! Sorry for any mistakes in the next couple chapters, im planning on editing the newer chapters once I finish the story! Please, please, please leave me a vote and comment, absolutely love hearing feedback from you guys! It always encourages me to keep writing and get updates out quicker. Thank you for reading, i appreciate you guys!