25. The beginning of the end of Spacewalker.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

THE LAST LIGHT OF DAY FELL AWAY BY THE TIME CLARKE MADE IT BACK. The blonde shoves Finn past the gate, and it wasn't difficult to judge what must have happened by the stormy expression on her face. They want Finn. There's no other possible explanation, and no matter how much Ainsley tries to say she doesn't care, she does. She doesn't know which is worse; knowing she cares, or the fact that this will come down to a war if Clarke doesn't give him up. 

The crowd grows increasingly more restless. Some even go so far as to demand they turn over Finn, but damn! Ainsley can't help but whistle as Raven launches at the man, yelling and flailing as guards try to pull her back, and she straight up clocks Major Byrne in the face. Ainsley lets out a gleeful sound but it's lost in the noise. 

Turmoil spreads throughout her like a wildfire; the anger she tries desperately to bury rises up in the pit of her stomach, and with great effort she manages to dampen it. It would do her no good to end up in lockup with Raven. Although she wants to help her friend, she's recognizing that to help her, she needs to be out here. Even if she doesn't like it. Her spot is out here to try to save Finn's life.

So, she heads in the direction Bellamy went and approaches Finn and John, already in the midst of a conversation.

"Hey man," John says as Ainsley approaches. "Byrne actually gave me a gun. I guess we really are screwed, huh?" At Finn's look, John grows a tad bit serious, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Look, we kicked their asses last time. We'll do it again." 

"A lot of people died last time," Finn points out. 

"Yes," Ainsley says, knowing she should keep her mouth shut, but she can't. "And you went out and killed a village. Take responsibility, Finn. If we do nothing, you die. I won't let that happen for Raven's sake." 

"Hey," Bellamy interrupts. "We're reinforcing all defenses. Doubles on the perimeter. No one's getting past that wire." 

Ainsley sighs and places her hand in her pockets, playing with the loose threading to keep her grounded in reality. Back behind walls yet again. Finn says something Ainsley couldn't quite make out, but Bellamy is completely against whatever it is. 

"I'm not gonna hide," Finn says incredulously. 

"Right now," Clarke interrupts. "We have to think about keeping you safe. I'm going to talk to Lincoln." 

"Any orders for me, Princess?" 

"Stay away from me."