38. Death Follows

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

“NO!” AINSLEY CRIED OUT, rushing forward in desperation, trying her damnedest to get to Bellamy. Eyes wild and feral as she jams her sword into the male Grounders direction. The doors were closing. She would not leave Bellamy to die. Her sword collided with his which had been aimed at Bellamy’s chest. She thrusted upwards, pushing the sword with her own to get it away from Bellamy. It gave him time to scramble to his feet, anyway.

The grounder parried his sword towards her, which caused Ainsley to stumble backwards, jumping out of the way. It wasn't quick enough. The sword pierced her thigh. A low growl escaped her instead of the scream that desperately wanted to tear through her lips.

“Ainsley, come on!” Her eyes lazily moved towards him. “Wake up.”

★──────────★

Wild and Feral eyes snap open, and nearly open wider in surprise as they land on Clarke’s face. Ainsley scrambles backwards like a frightened animal. The events before this rush back to her, the wound on her leg, and the pain. It's no wonder she'd been dreaming about the past. About the dropship, and Bellamy, and that stupid male Grounder.

“Easy, easy, okay?” Clarke says gently, holding a wet cloth and gestures at her leg. “I need to check that. Okay?”

Ainsley nods slowly. Her eyes on John, and if it weren't for the pleading look in his eyes, she would have told Clarke to get lost. Clarke starts forward, but Titus threatens her. He tells her not to do it. Waving a gun in the air, and apologizing that it has to come to this. What a psycho. And they call her psychopathic. Maybe the rest of the skaikru need to meet this guy.

He wouldn't even give a real reason as to why he's doing this.

“Look,” Clarke tries, seeming to suddenly understand. “I'm leaving right now. Octavia is waiting for me. Just let me take Ainsley and Murphy, and we'll go.” 

Ainsley glances sharply in front of her at Clarke. It's hard to tell if she'd actually meant it, but it's still surprising. Alien, almost. This is the same girl who'd banished them, who tried to kill them. Now she's trying to save their lives. Ainsley isn't too sure how she feels about that, actually.

“Wish I could,” Titus responds. “Lexa will never execute her duty while you live.” He aims the gun in Clarke’s direction.

“Hey, Titus, think!” Clarke tries again, fear making her voice shakier than she'd probably meant. “She is going to know it was you.”