42. FILLING THE CITY OF LIGHT

* * *

* * *

AINSLEY and John stood by Ontari's side in the throne room, the commanders job being to ask the people what they needed or wanted from her. Ainsley knew what was coming because of Allie, but she knew John wouldn't. Jaha, disguised in heavy robes that covered his face kneeled before the commander not yet uttering a word.

"Spit it out, what do you want?" Ontari demanded from atop her throne.

"Only to give you what you need," Jaha said, causing John to realize just who he was, calling him a son of a bitch. Jaha stood, taking the hood off of his head. "Hello John, Ainsley," and with a realization came another. Ainsley knew Jaha was about to give it away that she took the chip, Emori stood in the corner waiting. "You've done well for yourselves, I see."

"Who is this?" Ontari questioned, looking from John to Ainsley.

"You're flamekeeper and second and I are old friends," Jaha spoke up for them.

John stepped away from his spot beside of Ontari, walking until he stood directly in front of Jaha. Ainsley heard him threaten Jaha, telling him he should leave while he still can. The dark skinned man ignored him, focusing his attention solely on Ontari. He informed the girl that she didn't have to be a false commander, which caused her to shout at the guards to clear the room. Only Jaha, Ainsley, Ontari, John and Emori remained in the room. John shot a confused glance at Emori's presence but he didn't dwell on it for long.

"How do you know that?" John asked, confusion laced in his voice.

"You told me," Jaha told him which only seemed to confuse him further.

"He's lying," John stated, turning to Ontari. "Obviously, you should kill him right now for insulting you.."

"Just as you told me you would be unable to preform the ritual as the former flame keeper had not told you how to do it."

The realization seemed to hit John like a rain of bullets. His head snapped backwards to look at Ainsley with betrayal in his eyes. He shook his head in disappointment as he took a step towards Ainsley.

"You.. you took the chip?" His voice was low, his tone hurt.

"What is going on?" Ontari stood up, standing beside them. "You were just at the market not long ago. What happened?"

"I ran into her," Ainsley said, gesturing to Emori. "She made me see reason, that's all," she turned to John. "It really is amazing, John. It really opens your eyes fo the bigger picture."

"Ontari, listen to me," John begged. "You cannot.. trust these people!" He added, like it physically pained him to rope Ainsley in that sentence.

"It seems the only one I can't trust is you!" Ontari rounded on him with her sword drawn. "I told you what would happen if you betrayed me!" she backed John into a corner, her knife aimed at his chest.

Ainsley stepped forward. “You kill him, we won't help you.”

“Why?”

Ainsley's eyes went towards John's which were wide with fear and pain. She leaned in to whisper to Ontari. “He's a fraud,” Ainsley told her, the AI had completely taken hold of her brain. “But he does have knowledge that could be useful to all of us trust me.”

Ontari sighed, lowering her sword. She ordered for the guards to come take John away, they complied almost immediately.

“Don't.. Don't do this!” John begged, trying to pull forward as the guards dragged him back. “She's not herself, Ontari, can't you see that? They can't be trusted, don't do this! Ainsley, baby, don't do this, you don't mean this. Please!”

Ainsley heard his screams all the way down the hall until they disappeared altogether. Once John was gone, Jaha stepped forward to offer Ontari the true legacy of Bekka Pramheda. Ontari took the pill from his hand, looking at it in contemplation. She took the chip and placed it in her mouth, swallowing it. Ontari was now apart of allies plan.

* * *

POLIS has become a total wasteland while they begun their mission of filling the City of Light. The ones who didn't comply were either placed on wooden crosses and nailed to them, or the dead that littered the ground. There was blood everywhere that become almost like a small pond in the roads. Ainsley reveled in the chaos, the chip bringing her a newfound peace to do anything she wanted without worrying about the consequences. Because of Allie, she was finally free.

Ainsley smirked mechanically as she followed behind Ontari and Jaha, it seemed like Marcus Kane had arrived with the man named Pike. Ainsley vaguely remembered him as one of the teachers on the Ark. Ontari told the grounder holding a chained pike to release him, before ordering the grounder to open his mouth and accept the key of the City of light.

“I always thought you were crazy,” Pike told Jaha. “Now i know you are.” He didn't give Jaha a chance to respond, he moved quickly placing a knife under Ontari’s chin holding her so she couldn't easily break free. “Everyone, back away or the commander dies!”

Briggs, Grant and Ainsley moved to Pike, hitting him over the head and kicking his legs to bring him down without much of a fight. Ainsley thought the grounder slayer would have been more difficult to bring down, but she was wrong.

“Briggs!” Pike shouted in betrayal. “You're farm station.”

“There are no stations here,” Jaha told him. “Just the City of Light. Join us, Charles, please. There's no more need for fighting.”

“We both know there's no way in hell I'm taking that thing.”

“Sorry it has to be this way,” Jaha told him before looking at Ainsley. “Take him.”

Ainsley nodded once, forcing a hood on Pike's head to shield his eyes from where she was taking him. She forced him up, while he was shouting and trying to break free, and dragged him away from the others. She whistled a slow mocking tune as she shoved Pike into the cells, John's eyes falling on her from behind the bars.

“Ainsley,” he breathed, unable to move from his position chained to the wall. “Let me out of here. Please. Don't walk away from me!”

His screams fell on deaf ears as she was already gone.