53. EXPOSURE

* * *

* * *

Ainsley could feel the rift between her and Bellamy the minute they followed Clarke out of the hatch. She ignored the tight feeling in her chest, it was pointless to dwell on it. Her main focus being on Raven and getting to her to bring her back to the bunker, and hoping at least that John and Emori will have a place there. Even if she doesn't. Her eyes snapped up to meet Bellamy's as he demanded to know what Ainsley and Murphy were really up to.

“You killed us when you opened that door. You know that, right?” John deadpanned, chuckling humorlessly. “Oh, what, did you think our people were gonna waste a spot on Ainsley? On me? On Emori?” when Bellamy gave no response, John continued, “we were safe, and you screwed us, you wanna know what we're up to? Its called surviving. There's a bunker on that island. You're our ride. That's it."

“Um, actually, I volunteered to help Raven,” Ainsley cocked her head to the side, it being the first she's heard of the plan, but judging by Emori's facial expression it was clear she was the only one not privy to the information.

Bellamy shot her a look of surprise – which she shrugged to in response – before he looked back at John incredulously. “That bunker's not stocked, Murphy. You won't last five months, let alone five years.”

“No,” John responded. “We probably won't. At least we'll survive the death wave. We can't all be essential personnel,” he shot at Bellamy. “Or have a sister who's Queen of the Grounders.” He finished, staring at the man before turning away from him.

Even though Ainsley could still feel the rift, the tension, she stayed planted in front of Bellamy. She sent him a grave look. “I'm glad you got the door open, Bell,” she told him genuinely. “And for the record, I didn't know about the plan. Believe it or not I do care as much as someone like me can.”

“No,” Bellamy shook his head. “You don't. Otherwise you would think of more than just yourself.”

“I am thinking of more than just me. I deserve to die, but John doesn't. Emori doesn't. What right do you or your sister have to decide who lives and dies?”

At Bellamy’s stunned expression, Ainsley turned on her heels and headed after John.

* * *

“It felt good to be safe,” Emori stated, her voice barely above a whisper as the trio sat in the back of the rover. “I never felt that before.... Like I had a home.”

Ainsley took Emori's hand in hers while John placed a comforting hand on Emori's shoulder. “Hey, your home is with us, okay?” Ainsley told the girl seriously. “We'll survive. I'll make sure of it.” and this time, unlike so long ago when John was captured in front of her, she would keep her promise.