Time is precious (car crash pt 2)

Adrien strode through the glass doors with a bouquet of flowers in hand. He approached the receptionist desk with a nervous smile "I'm here to see Nathalie Sancoeur"

"lets see" the receptionist typed on his computer "room 42, the lift is just down the corridor"

Adrien stopped before the door, taking a moment to compose himself, he hoped she'd be awake. He opened the daunting door and just as he hoped, she was. Nathalie turned her head and smiled "are those for me?" she looked at the flowers in his hand

"uh, yeah" he approached her nervously, he took a seat and placed the bouquet on her bedside table. The morning light shone through the windows, lighting up Nathalie's pale face.

Adrien looked her up and down, "are you ok? Do you need anything?"

"I'm fine mentally, not so sure about physically" Nathalie glanced at her bandages and chuckled

"H-have you called y-your family?" Adrien asked nervously, he knew it was a sensitive subject but he couldn't help it. Adrien knew her relationship with her family was... complicated but she was in hospital, surely they'd want to know right?

"I know you're just trying to help but my family doesn't want to see me and I don't want to see them right now" Nathalie held his hand

She reached for a cup of water beside her bed "aghh" she recoiled in pain, holding her chest

"Here" Adrien handed her the cup "you don't have to do this alone you know"

"I'm fine, it's only a few broken bones"

"You had to have your spleen removed! You're not ok!" Adrien jumped to his feet, tears building in his eyes

"Come here" Nathalie held out her arms for a hug, changing the subject

Adrien shook his head in disbelief "no" he stormed out

By the time Adrien returned home, he had calmed down, his heart rate had slowed and his mind was no longer overwhelmed with emotions. He slumped into one of the armchairs beside the staircase and closed his eyes.

It's not her fault, she's use to being independent. She probably thinks she's done something wrong.

He leaned back and put his hands to his face, he felt so bad for shouting at Nathalie. He couldn't shake the thought of her alone and in pain, he just wanted to help.

Eventually the fatigue started to set in and his blinks got slower and slower until he drifted off to sleep.

It was about 7am when Adrien was woken by a loud bang. He jumped to his feet and followed the sounds of shattering glass to his fathers office. He cracked open the door and there was Gabriel surrounded by broken glass. He stood in the middle of the room with clenched fists.

Adrien attempted to close the door, giving his father space but the creak of the door gave him away.

Gabriel's head shot up like a meerkat "Adrien"

"I'm sorry for bothering you" Adrien held his head low

"I-" Gabriel was lost for words, he took a deep breath "Sit down"

Adrien followed his usually strict fathers orders and sat down on the marble step. Now he was closer, he could see his fathers red tear filled eyes. It pained him to see his father like that, not because he felt empathy but because it brought back the agonising memories of his mother.

"Adrien... I-I'm so sorry but Nathalie, she died this morning" Tears steamed down his face

Adrien's face dropped and he jumped to his feet "W-what? No, no!"

It took a second for him to comprehend the sentence, the sentence that would change his life forever. He stared at the wall as tears dripped from his rosy cheeks.

"No, she's not dead, she can't be" Adrien snapped out of his trance, looking down at his father innocently

Gabriel inhaled sharply "I have to go to the hospital to sign some papers" he adjusted his blazer, standing up

"Did you even care about her?! You're just trying to pretend it's not happening!"

Gabriel stared at his son trying to keep calm "of course I did... I still do"

"Then why don't you show it?! You say you care for me, for Nathalie but you never show it!" Adrien cried

"I do care for you both, I just, I didn't think I could love after your mother, I thought she was my one chance. I was so busy looking at your mother that I didn't realise Nathalie was looking at me"

"Moving on doesn't mean you have to forget about mom, just that you don't have to be sad anymore"

The end

I know the end is a bit abrupt but I have no idea how to continue it