Chapter 43

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

Mark's POV

With a downcast spirit, I drove out of the airport terminal and made my way to the main supermarket in Jakarta where I purchased supplies for the villa that could normally not be found in Sulawesi Island's supermarket.

Once more, I instructed my cousin Hannah to take note of the routes so that she could do the shopping by herself next time.

I tried to focus on my shopping and I tried to make the trip back to Sulawesi Island a pleasant one for Hannah and me.

"I love the fresh sea air of the island," Hannah said. "I have always loved the smell of salty air. It is so healthy for the respiratory system."

"For as long as our villa business is alive, this is where I will be living," I told Hannah.

I had almost blurted out "... with Gun."

I suddenly started feeling sad all over again. How much longer will I have to wait until Gun made up his mind to come back to the island.

I tried to focus on my duties the rest of the day. I showed Hannah the ropes of running the Supplies Department.

=      =      =      =      =      =      =      =      =

Three days have passed.

I still haven't heard from Gun. I wondered if I should call him or at least send him a text message.

During my lunch break I decided to text Gun after I joined Hannah and the other employees in the employee lounge for lunch.

"Excuse me," I said to Hannah. "I will do some slow walking in the courtyard to digest my lunch."

"Go ahead," Hannah said still sipping from her glass of pineapple juice.

I made my way to the courtyard but instead of doing some walking there, I went over to one of the cement benches and sat on it.

I took out my phone from my pocket.

Hey how are things going?

I tried to keep it casual.

Some minutes passed before I received a reply from Gun.

"I am trying to help Boat run his car repair business. How are you?"

I wanted to call Gun instead of texting him back. I badly missed hearing his voice. I wanted to tell him how miserable and lonely I felt without his presence here at the villa.

Instead, I texted Business as usual... So are you liking it there? I mean do you like the work you are doing for Boat?

After a few minutes my phone sounded Gun's incoming text notification.

"To be honest, I find it boring." Gun texted back.

I couldn't stand it anymore.

I called Gun and waited for him to take my call.

"Are you still on lunch break?" Gun asked as soon as he took my call.

"Yes," I replied. "Are you also still on lunch break?"

"Yes, I am at a small burger joint which is walking distance from Boat's office," he replied. "I'm walking my way back to work now."

"Just a quick question," I said, my heart already starting to beat faster than its usual rate. "Would you consider coming back to work here at the villa? You mentioned that you find your work there boring."

There was a long pause and I started to get nervous.

Finally Gun started talking.

"I guess it's because I don't like the hustle bustle of the city life," he said. "I prefer the quiet seaside life, listening to the sound of the waves rhythmically crashing against the shore at night just before I fall asleep."

"Mark?" Gun prompted me.

I didn't realize that I had stopped talking to him. I just stood where I was, tasting the saltiness of my tears. But they were happy tears.

Even if he did not say so, I felt like Gun was coming back home to me.