Chapter 44

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

Boat's POV

"Where have you been? Where did you take your lunch break?" I asked Gun when he stepped into my office.

I sniffed the air.

"You smell of fried onions," I said. "Where have you been?"

"I went to the burger joint next door," he replied.

"You should have told me that you were going out for lunch," I scolded him. "I could have treated you to a safer place, like that restaurant inside the mall that's just a few minutes from here."

I received a resentful stare from Gun before he said, "Boat, I'm no longer a child. I can take care of myself."

I wanted to say, "You will always be your mother's child and I have promised her that I would take care of you when she's gone."

Before I knew it, I burst into tears. I missed my wife so much. I loved her dearly no matter what Gun's father's family thought negatively of my relationship with my wife.

Suddenly I felt Gun's arms around me.

"You haven't yet gotten over my mom, have you?" he said gently.

"It's just been over a month, what did you expect?" I sobbed into Gun's shoulder.

Suddenly my phone started to ring. The ringtone told me it was my best friend Pitch.

 The ringtone told me it was my best friend Pitch

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

For those who might not know him his name is Sugus Buntawit Tragulpanich. He played the role of Pitch in the series "Golden Blood" where Gun and Boat were paired.

Gun and I broke apart and I reached for my phone inside my pocket.

"How are things going?" he asked as soon as I swiped my finger across my phone screen.

I could not answer right away. I was still sniffling.

"I have work overload today," I replied with a very nasal voice.

"Hey, is everything alright?" he asked in a concerned tone.

"Yes," I lied.

There was silence at the other end for a while and then Pitch said, "Listen, I wanna watch a football game tonight but I don't wanna watch alone. Care to come over to my place? I will order pizza with your favorite toppings and I will stop by for some beer at the market before heading home."

"Gimme me a second," I said.

I looked at Gun.

"You wanna watch a football game tonight at my friend's house?" I asked.

"Have I met him before?" Gun asked.

"I don't think so," I replied. "But he's a very nice guy. Nicer than me."

Gun smirked at my last sentence.

Gun thought for a few seconds before saying, "I guess I will. I don't wanna be alone in the house tonight."

I went back to my phone.

"Hey, Pitch, can I bring Gun with me?" I asked even though I knew that he would have no objection at all to Gun's presence.

"Your stepson?" Pitch asked, his voice sounding a bit incredulous. "The one who had been mean to you all this time?"

"Yes and no, but I can't elaborate on my answer right now," I said to Pitch, feeling uncomfortable and anxious that Gun might have heard Pitch's voice on my phone.

"If you want him to join us I have no problem with that," I heard Pitch say.

"What time do you want us to be at your house?" I asked.

"The game starts at six thirty," he replied.

"We'll be there before then," I said.

"I'll be waiting," Pitch said before cutting the call.

"Do you eat pizza?" I asked Gun.

"Why do you ask?" Gun wanted to know.

"My friend Pitch will be serving us pizza and beer during the game," I explained. "If you don't like pizza we can always stop for something that you can eat."

"I'm not much of a pizza guy," Gun confessed. "But don't worry about me. I can always eat something when we get home."

"No, no, no," I protested. "Let's stop by the mall to pick up some spicy chicken wings and zucchini fries so that we don't appear on Pitch's doorstep empty handed."

"Okay," Gun reluctantly agreed. "I can pay for half the cost of the food."

"Shut up, Gun and go back to work," I said, feeling offended that he was acting like he was not my family. "We will proceed to the mall right after we close shop and then we will go to Pitch's house. The game starts at six thirty."

"Okay," Gun said and obediently went back to his computer.

The workday went by quickly.

There were a lot of customers still waiting for their cars to be attended to.

I told my workers to finish their jobs and that I would pay them for their overtime hours.

"Hi," Pitch greeted us at the door. "What's that you're bringing with you? I told you that I would take care of the food and drinks."

"Oh, we stopped by for some chicken wings and zucchini fries because Gun is not much of a pizza eater," I explained.

"Okay," Pitch said, opening the door wider to let us into his living room.

The pizza with the ham and pineapple toppings was so good that I ate almost the whole content of one box. Thankfully, Pitch had ordered two large sized pizzas so there was still enough for both of us.

The ice cold beer was also good. Pitch knew just what brand of beer to get for me. He wasn't my best friend for nothing.

Suddenly the game was interrupted with a news flash.

There was a strong magnitude earthquake that rocked Sulawesi Island and several people were missing.

Before I could stop Gun, he rushed out the door.