𝐭 𝐞 𝐧

"What about our connection? Is there something that explains it?"

Still holding Theo's hand, Rosemary closed her eyes at the question.

"Yes, there is. Vampires have something called a mate. It can be another vampire or a human, or whatever. A mate is the person who is perfect for the vampire. They share a bond that isn't replaceable, they share an incredible and unconditional love, and that, forever. If the person dies, or rejected them, the vampire will be in so much pain, even more than when they turned," She explained, taking her beloved's hand to her mouth and kissing each of his finger. 

"So, you like, choose the right person for you?" He asked.

"No, it's like soulmate, we are connected since the beginning of our life, our human life. Mates sometimes don't find themselves. Vampires feel the bond much more than human, even if they feel something for the other one too," Rosemary stopped herself, feeling like she would spoke too much.

"So, Esme and Carlisle, Rosalie and Emmett, Jasper and Alice... They are mates," Theo asked, avoiding the question he wanted to ask. 

"Yes, Carlisle turned Esme, Rosalie found Emmett and brought him here for Carlisle to change him, and Jasper and Alice met each other before joining us. Edward hasn't met his mate yet," Rosemary listed, also avoiding the question she knew he wanted to ask. 

"Can vampires have other partners than their mate?" 

"Yes, but mates are a sacred thing. Most of our kind waits for the right one before settling down, but some people, like my cousins, enjoyed meeting a lot of people as they wait for their mate. It's up to the person, really," Rosemary smiled when she thought of the Denali coven.

"Your cousins?" Theo let out a small grin, surprised.

"Yeah, there's another coven in Denali that drinks from animals. We considered each other like cousins. Other than the mate bond, vampires can develop many bonds with other people. My family and I have a deep family bond, particularly me and Edward. He felt a real brotherly connection with me and that's why he turned me," She smiled fondly as she thought about what she had gained since she became a vampire.

"I wonder..." Theo trailed out, not really knowing how to say this. He wanted to ask if she had met her mate, but he didn't want to be disappointed if he wasn't. But the connection he had with her surely wasn't nothing? "Have you found your mate?" He looked down, not wanting to meet her eyes. Rosemary decided otherwise because she cupped his face and made him face her.

"I have," She stated in a quiet voice, making Theo's heart miss a beat from the intensity of her look. "And I am staring at him right now," The dark-haired vampire let go of her mate's face as she watched his eyes widened in shock.

"R-really?" He stuttered, a soft red slowly blossoming around his cheeks when she nodded. "So, fate had put us together..." He continued, implying that Rosemary was stuck with him.

"And I wouldn't have it any other way," She tucked a stray of his hair behind his ear.

"How can you be sure about this?" Theodore murmured, slightly insecure. 

"Theodore Forge," Rosemary started, biting her lower lip in nervosity. "I'd choose you in a million. Forever. And it's not because of the bond. It helps, but even without it, I know we'd a connection. I am in love with the person I'm getting to know more every day," Stopping herself, Rosemary got up because she couldn't stand the tension. 

She had said it. She admitted she was in love with him. Before she could start overthinking it, arms being wrapped around her waist stop her from pacing. Theo's hand was pressed on the back of her head and brought her into his chest. Closing his eyes, he rested his lips on her forehead and stayed there for a few seconds. He wanted her to know he felt it too, but he had to think about everything that happened today. It was a lot to take in, and Theo didn't know if he could digest all the information in one time.