Chapter 5

When Childe was invited into the apartment, he never would have guessed that three young boys and a single father lived there. Everything was spotless and well organized. The boys had their own little play area penned off and their toys were all kept inside there. There were no stray papers, envelopes, magazines, nothing. A small desk with some journals and pens were the only thing that seemed to not be perfectly in order. Childe hardly seemed to mind, to him, if anyone was going to manage a spotless home on top of everything else, it was going to be Zhongli.

Childe had let himself in after Zhongli had called to him to enter. He could hear voices in the kitchen, followed by some laughter so he made his way out of the little entryway and into the living room which opened into the kitchen. Standing over the stove was Zhongli of course, his two older boys sitting at the table. Venti was singing, and for his age it was amazingly well. Gorou sat beside him, scribbling on some paper. He was giggling to himself, enjoying whatever he was drawing.

"Hey, sorry I'm a little early." Childe spoke up as he entered.

"It's quite alright. I'm still finishing up dinner. It takes a bit to cook, but it's certainly worth it." Zhongli said as he turned to look at Childe. He wore soft chocolate brown robes decorated with gold detailing that Childe was absolutely fascinated by. His long brown hair was tied up in a neat bun with a hair piece keeping it in place. He had an apron on though to keep from getting his nice robes dirty. For once, Xiao wasn't in his pouch, down for a nap in a little basket by his brother's where they were able to watch him.

"I feel a little underdressed looking at you all. I hope gifts make up for that though." Childe grinned as he made his way over to the table. Venti immediately stopped singing, his eyes lighting up at the word gift.

"Oh oh! I love gifts!" Venti grinned, standing up in his seat.

"Venti. Don't stand on the chairs." Zhongli scolded lightly and Venti immediately sat down. "You didn't have to bring anything." Zhongli said, glancing over at Childe.

"Is it not customary to offer a gift in thanks for inviting me over." Childe hummed, pulling a bottle of wine from his bag. "I wasn't sure what kind you liked." Childe said as he moved over to Zhongli. Zhongli took the bottle, smiling softly.

"This is perfect, thank you Childe." Zhongli said, carrying it over to the fridge to chill.

"Is there anyfin else, Mister Childe!?" Venti asked with a toothy grin, still excited by the idea of gifts.

"Gif!" Gorou echoed his brother, eyes wide as he stared at Childe.

Childe turned to the two excited boys, his expression faltering when he saw Gorou. He quickly recovered, setting down with the two.

"Of course I've got things for you both." Childe grinned. "First things first, I've got some special sweets from my home in Snezhnaya." Childe said as he pulled out a little tin. "These are for after dinner, I can't ruin your appetite when your dad worked so hard on dinner."

"Aww, but I wanna try!" Venti frowned.

"Venti, behave. You can try some after dinner like Childe said. Now thank Childe for the gift." Zhongli said, scolding his son. Venti moped for a minute but finally sighed.

"Thank you Mister Childe for the sweets." Venti muttered.

"You bet little guy. Now this next one I promise you can have now." Childe hummed as he pulled out a couple of wooden toys for both Venti and Gorou. "I used to be a pretty famous Toy Maker back in Snezhnaya so I know quality toys when I see them." Childe said as he passed them over to the boys. Gorou lit up, immediately hugging the toy. He glanced back at Childe grinning at him. He had a couple little teeth poking out.