Chapter 15

(Trigger Warning for Blood, Torture, and explosions)

"Hold on sir, one more thing!" 

The secretary followed after Zhongli as he tried to make his leave for the day. If they had their choice, Zhongli would be there near twenty four seven as he had once been before he faked his death. Unfortunately he had a responsibility as a father now that they couldn't ignore. Zhongli sighed, stopping as he turned back. 

"Is there a problem? I signed all the paperwork given to me for the day?" Zhongli asked her. 

"Lady Ningguang requested your presence sir. She wanted to discuss recent events with you." The secretary answered. 

"I'm sure Lady Ningguang will understand that I need to get home to my boys. I'm a single father now after all." Zhongli frowned. He was grateful to Childe who was happy to take care of the boys in the month since he had come back, but he didn't want to leave his children as he had done before and he didn't want to ask too much of Childe.

"She said it's quite urgent, but won't take long. I'm sorry Sir." The Secretary shifted slightly.

Zhongli sighed, shaking his head. "Fine. As long as it's quick." Zhongli said as he walked past the secretary, heading to the elevator. He pulled out his phone, taking on Childe's contact as he called him, pressing the up button on the elevator.

"Hello~" Childe's voice answered from the other end. Zhongli chuckled, shaking his head.

"Hello Childe.” Zhongli said. “I’m going to have to stay late today. Apparently Ningguang wishes to discuss more with me about what’s happened. I’m sorry to leave the boys with you longer than I had planned.”

“It’s all good, Zhongli. Besides, it’s not like I’ve got anywhere to get to.” Childe chuckled. “Take as long as you need.”

“Thank you Childe, I appreciate all this help.” Zhongli let out a breath. 

“Of course. It's the least I can do considering everything that's happened." Childe said with a shrug.

“I’m still very grateful for your help.” Zhongli hummed. “What is taking this elevator so long?” Zhongli sighed, shaking his head. 

“Everything okay over there?” Childe asked. 

“The elevator is just taking a while. I’m sure everything is-” 

Zhongli was cut off by an explosion behind him. He was knocked forward into the elevator door, his phone skittering away from him. Childe was yelling from the other end, trying to get his attention but to no avail as Zhongli lay unconscious on the ground. His head was bleeding from the impact with the elevator and shrapnel littered his back. The other employees were screaming, running from the building as a couple men moved over to Zhongli. They lifted him up, carrying him out of the building and depositing him into a van before climbing in themselves and driving off. 

~~~~~

Childe was pacing anxiously in the kitchen, feeding Xiao. He was watching his phone on the counter, waiting for Zhongli to call him. He had tried a few times to get the call back but the line wouldn’t go through and it had him worried. He nearly jumped out of his skin when his phone lit up but his heart sank when he saw Ayaka’s name. 

“Hey, this is Childe.” He said as he answered, holding the phone with his shoulder. 

“Childe, have you heard anything from Zhongli? There was an explosion at the Liyue Capital House. There are so many people here, but none of them have seen him and I can’t reach his phone.” Ayaka said, speaking quickly. It was loud in the background, the other doctors calling for help.