Chapter 1: Ominous Tides

Disclaimer(s): None of the image(s) used in this chapter belongs to me. The Pixiv or Twitter source(s) will be linked underneath each image if available or unless it is from an official source.

Title Source: https://twitter.com/dna_kayoko/status/1498219298606620673?t=HxWM3J5hfTvj-w41Cv7Bxg&s=19

Word Count: 16.4k Words

=======================================

Japan - Rin's Home City

The people living in Rin's hometown were used to seeing the jolly young pink-haired girl skipping around with that cheerful smile and bright blue eyes of hers. She was a beacon of light and positivity, well known at school for her never-ending optimism. Although, unfortunately, that seemed to drive away girls her age as most of them could not stand her "naïve and annoying" nature - as they lovingly put it.

But, those times of feeling bad for who she was were long gone and instead replaced with days where she had someone by her side to appreciate her.

And, that person was none other than an older boy with dazzlingly bright E/C eyes and unique H/C hair that appeared out of nowhere about a couple of weeks or so ago, bringing with him a lot of attention and rumors. 

Y/N was certainly an enigma to her as to how he functioned as a human being with how he could be smart at one moment and... not so clever the next moment.

To Rin though, that was part of the fun.

The pair's friendship would have been awkward which was understandable considering that it was not unlike a plant bud, waiting for time to transform it into something more meaningful. However, after the whole fiasco with that oddly mutated bear and the events that followed, it was safe to say that they were past the point of calling each other strangers.

Although attending school was an unsurmountable obstacle for Rin, the nearest weekend had finally arrived, allowing the both of them to go out into the busy metropolis side of the city - with the permission of their "Obaachan," of course.

With her sister's credit card in hand and a dangerous glint in her eyes, Rin dragged her friend along to essentially all of the shops and stores they came across.

As of the current moment, the young girl sat outside of the dressing room of a clothing store situated on a massive shopping mall's first floor, waiting for Y/N to finish putting on the latest set of clothes that she had asked [forced] him to try out.

"Y/NNNN! What's taking so long? Higokumaru fell asleep already and usually doesn't fall asleep when it's this sunny outside." Rin asked, swinging her legs while drinking a strawberry smoothie. Her pet fox lightly snored from atop of the girl's lap, their fluffy tail curling around themselves as they enjoyed the comforting sensation of their master's hand petting them.

"Oh, be quiet already. I'm almost done..." 

Rin could hear the sounds of more shuffling behind the door. 

"There we go."

Y/N stepped out of the changing room, wearing the latest set of clothes that Rin had dumped onto him.

"This... This doesn't suit me one bit."

Y/N was very skeptical when Rin told him that whatever he was wearing was in fashion, considering she was wearing suspenders, but he was never a fashion freak anyways. Not to mention, she was using her sister's credit card to pay for anything so he couldn't complain, or else she might have forced him to pay for everything.