Chapter 2 (Part IV): Silent Night

Disclaimer(s): None of the image(s) used in this chapter belongs to me. The Pixiv or Twitter source(s) will be linked underneath each image if available or unless it is from an official source.

Title Source: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/99913439

Word Count: 15k Words

=======================================

3rd Person POV

What happens when someone falls unconscious? Do you think they merely float there in the void until they finally wake up? Or, do they have a grand ol' adventure during their time here and forget all about it when they do wake up? The answer seems to vary depending on who you ask as everyone has their own opinions and view on the matter. 

However, for our protagonist, the answer was:

"Human. What the fuck was that back there?"

"Dude, chill. I haven't said anything to you yet."

In the black void that was Y/N's subconsciousness, he and a mirror version of himself, except for the black hair and crimson-hued eyes, stood facing each other.

"I would much rather prefer you annoying me with your ridiculous thoughts than see you repeat what you just did."

"What are you talking about?"

"You let them beat you into a bloody pulp and for what reason!? You could have ended it before it even began! I know you saw what I did so, tell me, why didn't you!?"

"...I'm not going to take the lives of-"

"-Of what?"  The Herrscher cut Y/N off and grabbed him by his collar. "Take the lives of who? Disgusting slimeballs that would have done unspeakable things to Sakura and maybe even Rin? Is that what you're going to say?"

"They ARE disgusting pieces of shit. But, just because I think that way, doesn't mean I can just-"

"Oh, so that's what this is about: your ego. That's it, isn't it? You think that you're some damn angel of justice sent from heaven to preach the teachings and beliefs of some old bastard? No! You're a human, through and through. I don't understand why your kind is so fixated on using terms such as "good" or "evil" when talking about morality. Are you fools simply making excuses to justify your flimsy and constantly wavering moralities? To wave a banner of hypocrisy!? The world isn't black or white as humans make it out to be --- it's different shades of gray; all you're really trying to do is to survive to see another day. Nothing is guaranteed in life nor is life as simple as labeling something as morally right or wrong. Just do what you want instead of pitifully attempting to live up to the expectations of others." The Herrscher looked to see the uncertainty in Y/N's eyes and tossed him away with a sigh. "I can see that I'm not getting through that thick head of yours. Human, do you remember what you told me when you first met Rin?"

"...What are you talking about?"

"You told me that sacrificing your pride and humanity wasn't worth it to you because you believed that it would be the same as spitting in the face of the people that have supported you until that point. Tell me: what would be the point of their kindness and love for you if you died? Do you truly wish to make them sad and angry for the rest of their lives because you want to cling to this philosophy of yours that you got from your little girlfriend?"

"..."

"Listen to me well, human. A weapon can have many purposes; it can kill, protect, or be a symbol of a greater meaning. Which one are you?" The Herrscher said before leaving Y/N alone in this void to contemplate their words and reflect on his recent actions.