1.7

"Okay, students, I want you all to stand in a two lines, on the left side of your brooms." An infamous Madam Hooch walked onto the field, where all the first years stood, after completing the register. The faded, brown brooms were provided by the school as first years were not expected to have their own broomsticks. Second years and above were encouraged to, so they could try out for their house's Quidditch teams and play the sport.

This was their first flying lesson ever, despite the fact that this was their second week on campus. The last lesson was skipped due to the strong winds that refused to stop blowing for the whole day, which was accompanied by rain. Madam Hooch had cancelled the lesson based on the professional opinion that the new students would not be able to fly in such conditions, so she let them all stay indoors to finish homework. Of course, the children diligently sat in the Great Hall and produced their essays - which were marked with promising grades, especially since they all copied off of each other's notes before writing their essays in their own words.

Slytherins and Gryffindors were learning to fly together. Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws had practiced the same basics during their second period, before lunch. The students were all excited to learn and to practice mounting their brooms and hovering above the ground for a little while. Of course, with the golden and blue houses sharing the same lesson, the atmosphere was refreshingly fun where many made mistakes but still learnt. There was no competition or tensions between the students within first lesson, and Madam Hooch was grateful for it. She was quietly dreading teaching Gryffindors and Slytherins together, especially since they had a tendency to start fights with each other. She secretly hoped that the two Zion sisters being in the same class would help to reduce the tension by setting a good example on how to socialise, especially since they were twins who were bound to get along.

Ignoring the sniggering whispers of the students, Madam Hooch set the next instructions and waited for the students to obey her, "Command your brooms and make them come to you by saying 'up' as sternly but calmly as you can."

Lily Evans looked at Sahara who was also staring at their teacher with a confused expression. A little further down the line, Lily found Severus who was anxiously standing by his broom, letting his hand float above his broom. Turning to her other side, she found James and Sirius, both of whom were happily staring at their peers with over confidence. She rolled her eyes and agreed to focus on her task.

Within seconds, the class annoyingly demanded that their brooms flew to their hands, but they refused to. Marlene McKinnon managed to make her broom twitch for a little while before it fell against the ground, forcing her to sigh exasperatedly. The students continued to struggle with the task, while some plainly watched the others, waiting to see if this was a difficult task, or an impossible one. The students eventually fell silent, after several failed attempts.

"Potter, Black, did either of you even try to pick yours up?" Madam Hooch asked, looking bored and irritated at them.

"No," James smugly replied, "But I will now." Everyone watched quietly, preparing to either be amazed or to fall into a fit of laughter. James and Sirius repeated the single syllable word at the same time. Potter's broom quickly obeyed and fell into his hand, while Black needed a second attempt to achieve the same results. Their housemates gasped while Slytherins and a few irritable Gryffindors rolled their eyes, feigning a sense of boredom and no surprise.

Madam Hooch also seemed slightly annoyed at their desire to show-off, but she said nothing about their arrogance. Instead she smiled at them and quickly ignored them, waiting for the rest to continue trying. Marlene quickly managed to pick her broom up on her first time after her second round of attempts. Following her, several students slowly began to catch up to the first three, their brooms flying to their hands as if they belonged there.