2.13

The castle was surrounded by echoes of screams and goodbyes and accio charms being thrown about. The Christmas holidays were just beginning, with students worrying about their belongings as they prepared themselves for the final assembly of the term, before leaving to ride the train home. It was the seasonal farewell assembly, to wish a merry Christmas to students and staff, and to share a positive message with the whole school - as per Dumbledore's norms. He had done it long enough that it surprised many pupils that each of his speeches were different, despite how frequently he announced them.

The common rooms were empty, however, they echoed with the drilling noise of rushed footsteps. Students hid in their dormitories as they completed their last-minute packing. It came to no one as a surprise when children were late and slow with gathering their belongings into the luggage. Many children would whine whenever their professors would tell them off for their lacking responsibility, always about how foolish adults were to believe that a group of eleven to seventeen year old children would know better in such a regard. Despite complaining about that, each group of young adults believed that they were mature enough to make their own decisions. Whichever explanation and excuse suited their mood best was the one that was always picked in any argument or conversation had with an adult.

The Slytherin and Ravenclaw common rooms were easily the quietest of the four. The students within had completed most of their packing ahead of their last day. Of course, the Ravenclaw pupils were intelligent enough to manage their time better. Whereas, the Slytherin students were raised by parents who ingrained such habits within them: to always look after their belongings and to always be punctual. They were traits that many pureblood families had, whose children often found themselves in Slytherin. Contrastingly, the house of Helga Hufflepuff had a mixture of students, in terms of their productivity: those who completed their work and tasks on time, and those who waited till the last minute, letting pressure be their drive. Thus, their common room was filled with a mixture of eye rolls from relaxed students, and the faint mumbles of charms to urgently collect their belongings. The house that made the most noise was the Gryffindor house, with its members scattered about the castle and their respective common room. The pupils within the house were known for their boisterous and bold nature, however, it sometimes resulted in their overbearing confidence about getting tasks completed on time. Thus, many children - apart from a select few - would end up packing their belongings at the very last hour they could afford.

"Hurry up, you two, we are going to be late," Peter Pettigrew whined as he waited at the door of their dormitory. The short boy watched as James and Sirius poured themselves over James' luggage, while Remus watched the pair move.

"When are you both going to learn to be better at packing your things on time?" Remus rhetorically asked as he watched Sirius trip over James' pair of jeans, while James threw in his books into his bag. The pair continued to run about the room, hunting for his belongings.

Peter sighed before he commented, "I cannot believe you are not going home this Christmas."

Sirius' head perked up, "First of all, that is a blessing. Second of all, it means I can spend time with Remus in the castle. We will both be staying behind, so, we will have fun. Do not worry, you do not have to feel sad for us."

"Oh, do not worry about that, I am not worried about you both, but for the professors who are staying behind with you," Peter laughed as he spoke. Sirius stuck his tongue out while Remus and James' laughter echoed with Peter's.

"Hurry up, you two!" Remus shouted as he grabbed his robe and threw it on, after noticing Sirius and James sit on James' suitcase to shut it. The pair nodded to each other before running behind their best friends, through the Gryffindor common room, the castle corridors, down the unpredictable moving staircase, and further through more corridors, before finally planting themselves into their seats in the Great Hall. They were not amongst the last pupils to arrive, for they waited upon many of their peers, all of whom rushed through the double doors as well. As the children waited, breakfast was served and they indulged in a hearty meal of hot food.