Grilled Cheese

By the time the last customer leaves, my feet are killing me. Only five of us stay to close up, and we get to work. I start stacking chairs up front before sweeping and mopping, and I can hear the others closing down the kitchen.

Once the front is all done, I start closing out the register. Luckily, I'd gotten good at it over time and it only took me 15 minutes.

"We're all done back here, Aspen." Garrett, one of the cooks, tells me. "How's the front?"

"Oh, great, thanks Garrett! Front's all done, and I just finished up here. Everyone ready to head out?" Four heads nod, and we head out the back door before I lock up. "See y'all tomorrow." I call out before moving to my car. I get in and start it up, but stop when I see a lonely shape walking towards the road.

Barry?

I put the car in drive and pull up beside him. "Want a ride?" I call out of my open window.

"That's okay, home isn't far from here."

"Hop in, Barry. It's starting to rain." Surprisingly, he doesn't argue.

"Thanks." He replies, sliding into the passenger seat. "Head north for six blocks, and I'll tell you when to turn."

"Okay." A moment of silence follows before he speaks again.

"How come you're so nice to everyone? Especially to those guys from earlier?" His question catches me off guard, and I take a moment before responding.

"I don't know. I guess, you never really know what someone else is going through, so I always try and give them the benefit of the doubt."

"But those men, they always treat you like that. It's disgusting. And unfair."

"Yeah, but I'd like to keep my job, and saying what I really want to say would probably get me fired." I chuckle. The road is empty given how late it is, and the pavement shines under the layer of rain that had gathered.

"That's true. I guess I just admire your kindness. Especially to perverts like them."

"Oh, they're not all bad."

"Yeah, Dan's nice."

"You know Dan?" I turn towards Barry briefly, and study his face as the streetlights cast an occasional soft orange glow on him.

"Yeah, he goes to my church and I talk to him sometimes. Well, my mom talks to him. I just stand there awkwardly." Barry chuckles.

"He does seem nicer than the others. He doesn't make inappropriate comments, which is refreshing."

"Do the others?" Barry asks quickly, and I hear anger in his voice. I hurry to calm him down.

I had no idea he was so caring.

Maybe he cares for you as more than a friend. Another voice whispers. I shake that one off.

"Yeah, but nothing I can't handle. No need to worry." I give a small laugh.

"Turn right up here." Barry points. After a moment, he continues. "If that changes, will you tell me? I know Larry doesn't ever listen to you, but maybe he'd listen to me..." He trails off.

"I appreciate that, Barry. I'll let you know if it gets worse." He's silent after that, only speaking to give me directions. The windshield wipers fill the silence between his words.

"This is me." He says, and I pull up to the curb before putting the car in park. "Thanks for the ride. And for talking to me at work. See you tomorrow, Aspen."

"Bye, Barry."

He shuts the car door, walking slowly towards the tall, thin, faded grey house. Once he's in the door, I pull away from the curb and head home, turning up the music. Just A Phase by The Band CAMINO spills from the speakers and I belt the words, letting the frustrations from today leave in time with the lyrics.