Chapter 24

3-7-22

"Gabe," My voice is a hoarse whisper and I jump back, wrenching my hand from his grasp. "You're not supposed to be in here. Why are you here?" My eyes flick frantically towards the closed door. I wanted to run from the room, but knew he'd stop me before I could take two steps.

"I had to see you, Aspen. I had to talk to you." It's then that I notice the look in his eyes. A look of pure pain. But that can't be right. "Aspen, I want this to stop. I hate this. I hate that I hurt you, and I want to make things right." He pleads.

"It's way too late for that, Gabe." I say, but I feel confusion creeping in.

Was he being genuine?

"I know. And I don't deserve even a second of your time, but please. I need you to hear this." I can't form any words, so he goes on. "I miss you. I miss you so much that I physically ache. I know I messed up in the past, and I'm so sorry. I would do anything to take everything back." His voice shakes, and I feel my heart shift so slightly, I barely notice it. But I do notice it, and I silently scream at my heart, begging it to not fall for Gabe's lies.

But what if they aren't lies?

"You're incredible, Aspen. I've loved you since day one, and I'll never stop loving you. I know what I've done to you is unforgivable but I'm begging you. I want you back. I need you. I can't keep living life without you. Please give me another chance."

Gabe's eyes are red and filled with tears. Despite my internal screaming and begging, my heart shifts again.

"You completely broke me, Gabe. And then today, you said I made everything up? That I'm mentally unstable? Am I just supposed to ignore that?

"I lied. I didn't mean any of that. I know I hurt you, and I'm so sorry."

"You say that you know you hurt me, but you still won't admit to what you did. That hurts too, Gabe."

Gabe stands and begins pacing, but he doesn't move towards me. He truly seems distraught, and runs his hands through his neat hair, causing the curls to fall out of place.

"I know I hurt you, Aspen. I hurt you in ways you didn't deserve. I made you think that you deserved the slaps and punches and hits, but you never did. I made you think that your broken wrist was your fault, that you deserved it for talking to Tyler. I would just get so... jealous when your attention was on anyone but me. I couldn't stand it because I wanted you to myself."

Gabe turns to me with wide, wild eyes, and I see the pain and desperation filling them. I feel myself falling backwards in time, back into the Aspen I was long ago.

"You raped me, Gabe. You raped me and yet, you won't admit it."

Will me admitting it really make any difference?" He asks. I don't answer, but he continues. "I... God, Aspen. I know." My eyes widen at his confession. "I know I raped you. I've regretted it every single damn minute of every single damn day. If I could take back only one thing, I would take back that. Don't get me wrong, I'd do anything to take it all back.

"Aspen, you were the best thing to ever happen to me. You were the best kind of girlfriend, and I ruined that. I've changed, though. I've been working on being the kind of guy you deserve to be with. I've seen how happy you are with Rylie," I don't miss how his voice hardens slightly at the mention of Rylie. "But I know I could treat you so much better than she does. Because I know what you're worth, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to prove that I can be what you need. It's not too late to drop all of this."

"You know now? Why didn't you know that before all of this?" I cry, my voice betraying me.

"I don't know, Aspen! I'm an idiot! Isn't it good enough for you that I see it now?"